Time for President to take up issue of Knives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time for President to take up issue of Knives

An Atlanta television station reports that a fan was stabbed in the neck outside the Georgia Dome after the San Francisco 49ers defeated the Atlanta Falcons for the NFC Championship. A witness told…

Clearly there is a need for anyone owning a knife to undergo a background check. For far longer than guns, these dangerous weapons have been used as weapons of aggression on unarmed peaceful people.

We should start with putting armed guards in every steakhouse.
    "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

That's silly. As long as the knife doesn't have more than 7 blades, a silencer, or a black handle it's ok to own.

Comment

Congrats on completely missing the point, Plato!

I don't think increased gun control is a particularly effective solution for school massacres either, but posts like this are so obtuse that they damage your position, instead of helping it.
      "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
      "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

I know...I just couldn't resist highlighting the hypocracy. People are concentrating on the guns and not on the people using the guns. That, to me, is even stupider than this thread.
        "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

At least have background checks and a national registry...
          If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
          ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Since you mentioned background checks I guess one could naturally assume you were talking about people.

EDIT : I see Kuci Junior is missing the point too... This is not disappointing at all...
            "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Yes, but not in the same way you are. I have no real issue with background checks. I do have an issue with concentrating on the millions of legal gun owners who have never committed a crime versus concentrating on getting treatment for mentally unstable people who are likely to become violent. It seems to me that removing the constraints put on mental health officials for identifying potentially violent patients would work well with a background check. To me, that is the kind of emphasis we need to be looking at...not wheter or not you can carry 5 bullets in a magazine as opposed to 10.

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO View Post
                It seems to me that removing the constraints put on mental health officials for identifying potentially violent patients would work well with a background check.
                Of course the applicable "constraint" is they just aren't any good at differentiating between those who are risks, and those who aren't. So good luck removing that ...

Comment

I know...I just couldn't resist highlighting the hypocracy. People are concentrating on the guns and not on the people using the guns. That, to me, is even stupider than this thread.
                  1. It's "hypocrisy".
                  2. It's not hypocrisy given that guns are a lot more scary and dangerous than knives. Also, I think anyone would love it if we could just make people less inclined to engage in violence in general, any ideas?

Comment

Yes, more guns, hypocratically speaking...
                    "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Yes, but not in the same way you are. I have no real issue with background checks. I do have an issue with concentrating on the millions of legal gun owners who have never committed a crime versus concentrating on getting treatment for mentally unstable people who are likely to become violent. It seems to me that removing the constraints put on mental health officials for identifying potentially violent patients would work well with a background check. To me, that is the kind of emphasis we need to be looking at...not wheter or not you can carry 5 bullets in a magazine as opposed to 10.
                      One most also remember that people suffering from mental health issues are far more likely to be the victims of violence, as opposed to perpetrators.
                      "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                      "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

I think it's harder to throw a knife accurately enough to kill someone from a distance, than it is to aim a gun and kill someone from a distance.
                        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson View Post
                          That's silly. As long as the knife doesn't have more than 7 blades, a silencer, or a black handle it's ok to own.
                          As long as they are not military style bayonets. Course we were told they aren't used anymore in the modern military.

For the record, no knife control measures are worth their salt unless they have the ringing endorsement of Joe, 'The Brain' Biden.
                          Last edited by Ogie Oglethorpe; January 21, 2013, 13:25.
                          "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

The "likely to become violent" is the problem. It's interesting to me that generally conservative people who have qualms about the government having the power to restrict gun ownership, commerce and manufacture, aren't even more concerned with the notion of government having some power to engage in "civil commitment" without a crime being committed or due process being observed. We've already had that history of abuse to some extent.
                            When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

If you transported Apolyton back to the 70's or earlier we'd all be committed as deviants. (I'm not sure which side I'm arguing on here ... )

Comment

Working...
                              X