No announcement yet.

Movies, good and bad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This movie is on a lot of critics all time favourites lists. The humour, while cutting edge when it came out, is dated now. More a series of vignettes than a traditional story, the cast also included Sir Richard Attenborough, Spike Mulligan, and Yul Brynner (in drag, singing Noël Coward).

If no one answers today, I'll be a good Christian and give an easy hint tomorrow. It isn't magic.
    There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
      I still have zero idea what you are talking about, but you have my full attention.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	tumblr_l5iml8Ks5V1qaostzo1_500.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	9094739
      Here is a safe still from that scene.
      There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

• Although the movie's title is the name of a (supposed) luxury ship, Capt. Bligh does not sing ___ Lovin' Spoonful's hit "Do you believe in ______" to Fletcher _________.
        (Fill in the blanks...)

Comment

• The Magic Christian.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Sparky View Post
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]173510[/ATTACH]
            Here is a safe still from that scene.
            Mother of God.
            "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
            "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

(Molly will know this one)
              The soundtrack more than the film. British films could be very surreal in the 60s... I give you 'The Bed Sitting Room' :

Set in post-nuclear-holocaust England, where a handful of bizarre characters struggle on with their lives in the ruins, amongst endless heaps of ash, piles of broken crockery and brick, muddy plains, and heaps of dentures and old boots. Patriotically singing "God Save Mrs. Etheyl Shroake, Long Live Mrs. Etheyl Shroake", they wander through this surrealistic landscape, forever being warned by the police to "keep moving", and prone to the occasional mutation into a parrot, cupboard, or even, yes, a bed sitting room with "No Wogs" scrawled in the grime on it's windows. In particular, this story revolves around the odd "love story" of a girl who lives with her parents in one compartment of a London Underground train, the commuter in the next compartment, and the doctor they meet after returning above ground in search of a nurse for the heavily pregnant girl.

Mother of God.
              -Guynemer

Eh. Seen her in 'Myra Breckinridge' ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	9_depants_b.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	9094746
              Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

• Originally posted by Sloww
                The Magic Christian.
                Correct - since you were first, it's you're turn! ... and try to find a way to see The Magic Christian- in many ways it's the transition between The Goon Show & Monty Python.

... as for the publicity shot ot Welch and Starr - the scene is in the 'engine room' of the Magic Christian, which is powered by a very large number of attractive, topless galley slaves.

http://www.corbisimages.com/stock-ph...l-welch-in-the
                Last edited by Uncle Sparky; February 25, 2013, 12:31. Reason: link to pic with boobies.

Comment

• We... are we getting a new movie?

Comment

We... are we getting a new movie?
                    If Slowwie doesn't post soon, give us another one your own good self, sirrah.
                    Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

• I'll go, so this won't die... This should be easier -

Lost under a stage in Cleveland. Not... f*cking... Stonehenge.
                      Last edited by Uncle Sparky; March 1, 2013, 22:42.

Comment

• This Is Spinal Tap

Comment

• Here's one that is almost as easy.

A well-known symbol of France plays a crucial role in this film noir.

Comment

• The Maltese Bippy!

ACK!
                            Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

• Ummmm... no.

Don't let me become Rollo Tomassey by stumping you all.

Comment

• A View to a Kill isn't film noir, so I need another hint.

Comment

Working...
                                X