Hobbit Reivews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobbit Reivews

Took my 12 year old daughter (kicking and screaming) to see the Hobbit. After reading the panned reviews, I was pleasantly surprised. Much more emphasis was given to the ties to LOTR than was in the original book, but I felt it worked. The addition of a blood fued between Thorin Oakenshield and the big bad Orc Chief was an obvious directors license but again the plot device worked.

Still don't see how they can make three full fledged feature length movies out of it but the pace was OK for the first installment.
    "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

I wasn't bothered by the changes from the books, but I was bothered by the scenes where the dwarves suddenly became circus acrobats, jumping from rope bridge to rope bridge or cliff to cliff. They became way too preposterous (in a story about wizards and dragons and whatnot) and there was so much crap CGIed onto the screen in Goblin-town that it was hard to give a damn about any of it.

The riddles in the dark were great, and I liked Radagast, even if he was silly.
    John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Radagast is a pothead and you know it !
      "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Originally posted by dannubis View Post
        Radagast is a pothead and you know it !
        Got it wrong. According to Saruman, Radagast is a shroom head tripping on psychadelics. He thinks Gandalf is a weed head with his proclivity for Hobbiton weed.

The fact that Gandalf likes Radagast is because they are both hippies.
        Last edited by Ogie Oglethorpe; December 17, 2012, 15:09.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

I stand corrected !

Comment

It was pretty good, but where were the dwarf beards??
            The Radagast part seemed familiar, but it wasn't in the Hobbit, where did it come from?
            And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

Haven't seen it yet, but I will. Daughter has seen it twice, wife once, and both enjoyed it thoroughly.
              Yes, they are Ring nerds (as I was, back in the day).
              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

What is the Morgul sword, and what does it mean?
                And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

Originally posted by Supr49er View Post
                  What is the Morgul sword, and what does it mean?
                  Morgul swords were the weapon of the nine ring wraiths. In particular the discussion between Gandalf, Galadriel, Elrond and Saruman was about the chief of the ring wraiths, the Witch King of Angmar. The fact that they had a Morgul sword in their possession and it was claimed to be used in an attack on Radagast indicates the nine are walking the earth again. The necromancer is of course none other than Sauron himself and he is animating the nine to look for the ring somewhere up and down the Anduin river where Ilsidur was murdered, unknowing that it was long since recovered by Gollum. All this was of course denied strenuously by Saruman as if to indicate otherwise was madness from the fever swamps.

Comment

Originally posted by Supr49er View Post
                    It was pretty good, but where were the dwarf beards??
                    The Radagast part seemed familiar, but it wasn't in the Hobbit, where did it come from?
                    IIRC there was a throw away bit about Radagast in the Fellowship, where Gandalf speaks of signs and rumors from Radagast regarding the corruption of Mirkwood. (Although that might bein the appended time lines that accompany the novels). Further, Saruman gets a bit of intel that the ring bearer is a hobbit from Radaghast. I think it was the lead up to Gandalf's imprisonment by Saruman.

Comment

It was disappointing compared to Lord of the Rings movies.

It was disappointing compared to what I would have expected even not compared to seeing the Lord of the Rings movies.

I still had fun going.

I thought the added/changed parts were unnecessary and many of those (particularly the more 'combat' focused ones) detracted from the movie.

Several times they could have used dialogue that followed the book more exactly, and the dialogue would have been better, but they didn't. For no reason I could figure out.

They emphasized battle too much.

The movie was much longer than it should be, I was hoping that they would have three 80 minute movies since it was three movies and not two. Instead they had an almost 180 minute movie, and I think the other two will be similar.

As I said though, I had fun at the movie. It just could have been amazing and wasn't.

JM
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN
                      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

The scene with the white counsel was the one change I thought was OK/good.

The Radagast scene I think wasn't bad.

JM
                        Last edited by Jon Miller; December 17, 2012, 17:32.
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN
                        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Long movie.
                          What gives with the stone fighting giants?

Comment

That was actually in the book...

Comment

Anybody see it in 48FPS?
                              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Working...
                              X