Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School Shooting

I'm surprised there's not a topic yet.

DEVELOPING: Authorities say at least 26 people, including 18 children, were killed Friday when a gunman opened fire inside a Connecticut elementary school.

A law enforcement official said the shooter, who is dead, is believed to be a father of one of the students at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown. Authorities recovered a Glock and Sig Sauer 9mm handgun, but it was unclear who killed the shooter, who wore black combat garb and a military vest.
    An official with knowledge of the situation said the man, described as in his 20's, had two guns. The motive is not yet known.
    Earlier reports of a second gunman are unconfirmed. The Connecticut Post reports that police are also questioning a handcuffed man in connection with the shooting. Witnesses told the newspaper he was led out of the woods by officers.
    Shortly after 9:40 a.m., authorities reported that a shooter was in the main office of the school. A person in one room had "numerous gunshot wounds," police told the Hartford Courant.
    A dispatcher at the Newtown Volunteer Ambulance Corps said a teacher was shot in the foot and taken to Danbury Hospital. Local news outlets also reported that the principal was among those shot.
    Parent Lisa Procaccini told Fox News that her daughter was sitting in a classroom when she and others heard gun shots.
    "She was in a small class -- a reading group and they started hearing bangs," Procaccini said. "Her teacher, and I’m grateful for this, rushed kids into the bathroom and locked the door. They told kids it was hammering and tried to keep them calm.”
    "Children were crying," Procaccini said. "She did tell me about a little boy that was in a police officer’s arms, bleeding. I don’t know if she gets it."
    The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives said two firearms were recovered from the scene.
    President Obama was notified of the shooting around 10:30 am ET, White House officials said.
    The Newtown School District has locked down schools as a preventive measure to ensure the safety of students and staff.
    A statement on the district's website stated that afternoon kindergarten classes have been canceled.
    The elementary school has close to 700 students.
    Newtown is in Fairfield County, about 45 miles southwest of Hartford and 60 miles northeast of New York City.
    Click for more from CTNow.com
    FoxNews.com's Cristina Corbin, Mike Levine, Jana Winter and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Two shootings so far this week. The end of the world is near.

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
      Two shootings so far this week. The end of the world is near.
      This is horrible , all the news channels of the world are showing the parking lot, I think this shooting has had more impact than the others because the victims are children.
      I need a foot massage

Comment

They need to start arming people at schools and universities. Even if you were to ban all guns, it wouldn't stop this. We can't keep drugs and illegal immigrants out so you can't keep guns out. Of course there's also the very real possibility of an oklahoma city style bombing as well which would have killed far more. They need barriers, walls, gates, etc. plus armed people at entry points. When I went to elementary school there was nothing stopping someone from just walking right into a classroom, let alone driving a truck filled with explosives up next to one.

Comment

But remember even having a mental health exam to see if the guy is crazy or not is nothing but evil gun control.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

This is really horrible

PS: Anyone want to take an over/under on the number of hours until an Asher troll thread?
            If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
            ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Originally posted by DriXnaK View Post
              They need to start arming people at schools and universities.
              I'm going to go out on a limb and say restricting access to guns or at least making sure the folks trying to buy guns aren't insane would be a better approach. The gun nuts were just babbling nonsense after the shooting in Colorado saying "if everyone in the theater had a gun then it would have been safer". No, you just would have had lots of panicked people firing rounds in a dark theater where no one could see resulting in dozens of additional people getting shot. Then there is the old "well, he could still use a knife if he couldn't get a gun" which is true though a guy with a knife would probably only get 2-3 people before getting over powered instead of killing 30-40.

Comment

I think there are many countries in which these things don't happen in which getting weapons is as easy as in the USA. I am not saying gun control isn't a solutions, only that not having it is not what causes this.
                I need a foot massage

Comment

A father is going to be pretty low down the list of people likely to be insane. There's no plausible reason to expect gun control would have prevented him from getting access to a weapon in this case. So can we please feel sorry for the victims instead of glibly taking this as a datapoint for bull**** political reasoning?

No intelligent people are suggesting we arm the kindergarteners to stop the evil school shooters...but also there has never been an elementary school shooting that I can think of in my (admittedly relatively short) lifetime. I'd suspect more children die every year on the playground horsing around than a 20 year spread of all school gun violence in elementary schools.

Comment

Again, they need better security. Anyone can just walk into a classroom in most these schools. They are very lucky no one has decided to pull an oklahoma city style bombing on one of these places. At my old elementary school you could have driven a truck right into the courtyard in seconds and been able to hit 30 or so classrooms easily. As far as stopping a lone gunaman, creating entry points and then creating security at them is the only way. Most these schools have only one officer at the school, and they're usually obese.

Comment

I can think of several recent shootings where the person in question was without a doubt legally insane. Did you ever see some of the youtube videos the nutjob in Arizona made before the shooting? I'm talking about the guy who shot Congresswoman Gabby Giffords. That guy was absolutely certifiable.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	candles-17-flicker-flame.gif
Views:	1
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	9094340
                        There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Never would have happened if the kids had been armed. Not the kindergarteners, maybe (although, F*ck it, they could handle a Glock), but some of those kids were like 9-10 years old -- easily old enough to pack heat and stop sh!t like this from going down. But you'll never get a conceal carry law for kids in a p*ssy Dem state like Connecticut. P*ssies.
                          "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Can we please stop building these ridiculous strawmen? You're literally the fourth person I've seen in as many minutes between poly and facebook to say that exact same thing.

Comment

Gosh, if you say so, Punky Brewster. Wouldn't want you to count past five and use your other hand or anything.
                              "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Working...
                              X