Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you be offended if somebody called you an Australian?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you be offended if somebody called you an Australian?

I just read that a Czech woman in the United Kingdom was fined for racial slurs. She called her New zealand born neighbour " a fat stupid Australian *****". It was the "Australian" bit that earnt her a fine.
    I am Mobius
    13.64%
    Extremely offended
    22.73%
    Offended
    13.64%
    Wouldn't care
    27.27%
    Flattered
    4.55%
    Can I have a banana please?
    18.18%

I still can't get over how America is the last nation with free speech.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Most people like freedom for themselves, and hate it for other people.
      John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

If you're from NZ or the UK that hurts.
        Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Originally posted by Felch View Post
          Most people like freedom for themselves, and hate it for other people.
          Indeed. feel free to agree with everything I say.

But if you disagree that proves you need to incarcerated in a "re-education" camp.

Comment

We have the same nonsense laws here. Sooner rid of them and the ALP the better.
            "You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."--General Sir Charles James Napier

Comment

Wouldn't care
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Braindead View Post
                I just read that a Czech woman in the United Kingdom was fined for racial slurs. She called her New zealand born neighbour " a fat stupid Australian *****". It was the "Australian" bit that earnt her a fine.

Something is probably missing from the story. Like the actual reason for the fine. Or a magistrate who doesn't know the law.
                Last edited by Dauphin; November 23, 2012, 04:17.
                One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Looking up on the story shows it is sourced from the Daily Mail. So it MUST be true.

Comment

Turns out she kicked a police officer and threatened to kill the neighbour's dog. Hence the fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                      You should go talk about how amazing you think Allah is and how America should be run on a Sharia law system while pulling out of the Middle East. Obviously with the US being such a beacon of free speech, you couldn't possibly end up on any government agency lists, or put your freedom to fly at any risk.

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin View Post
                        Turns out she kicked a police officer and threatened to kill the neighbour's dog. Hence the fine.
                        Classic Daily Mail story then. Total lie.
                        Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                        Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                        We've got both kinds

Comment

Not total, it was "racially" aggravated (it seems national origin is covered by the racial and religious laws). But you can't be fined for being racist or making racist statements alone. It has to compound another offence.

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                            The law states:

Nothing in this Part shall be read or given effect in a way which prohibits or restricts discussion, criticism or expressions of antipathy, dislike, ridicule, insult or abuse of particular religions or the beliefs or practices of their adherents, or of any other belief system or the beliefs or practices of its adherents, or proselytising or urging adherents of a different religion or belief system to cease practising their religion or belief system.

Comment

Still a breach of free speech principles. The crime is in the assault, not the motives or bad words.
                              "You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."--General Sir Charles James Napier

Comment

Working...
                              X