No announcement yet.

Because no one uses the Other Games Forum: X-COM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I used to take Holotargeting over Bullet Swarm, but it seems to have limited use since the enemies you're most likely to need to gang your whole squad upon (Cyberdisc, Berzerker, Sectopod, Ethereal) don't use cover, making the aim bonus somewhat unnecessary. A well-positioned plasma Heavy with Bullet Swarm and HEAT Ammo, on the other hand, can damn near take out a Cyberdisc or Sectopod by itself.
    Last edited by Tupac Shakur; May 12, 2013, 10:24.

Comment

• I picked holotargeting on my first playthrough and it's alright, but I think bullet swarm is probably better. Rapid reaction, the alternative to HEAT, is worthless. Heavies have an aim stat penalty which makes them pretty ineffective on overwatch.

Comment

• I just got my second round of psi testing completed and my other OG assault (the psycho) is also gifted. Good lord, I'm going to cut through the Temple Ship like a hot knife through butter.

Comment

• Help me decide: Should I just finish the game as quickly as possible since I've already researched everything and built all the weapons/armor I would ever want? Or should I take the time to max out my main team's psi abilities so I can have some fun with the final level? The idea of ghosting both of my colonel assaults into the final room to mind control both Muton Elites after my sniper (or maybe two?) headshots the Uber Ethereal from the door is turning me on.

Comment

• Max them out, blow up everything.
            "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

• I like the way you think. I also forgot that I still need to raid a Battleship so I can get the Blaster Launcher.

Comment

• Raiding the battleship always feels like a ****ing chore.

And the temple ship isn't all that fun when you do it the second time. It's also pretty easy by that point in the game. First room: rift the sectoids, double tap the first cyberdisk, rocket the second one or let it get pwned by your overwatch. Heal damage. Throw grenades at the thin men in the second room. Third room, heavy and sniper go down the middle, assaults/supports on the sides. Shoot the floaters, kill the stragglers with your sniper. Chrysallids are shotgun meat. Fourth room: rift the sectopods, maybe follow it up with a rocket or just throw a smoke grenade over whoever can see them. Advance up both sides of the room, there are only like two heavy mutons, easily dealt with. Then when you get to the final room, use ghost armor to get a shot on the main dude with your sniper rifle, and shoot a rocket at him. Then throw all your weapons at him and bumrush him with your assaults. He should be dead in one turn.

Comment

• Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
                  Raiding the battleship always feels like a ****ing chore.
                  Good god, I should not have tempted the fates. Just raided the battleship and was perilously close to a squad wipe in the final room when I triggered 3 Mutons, 3 Muton Elites, and an Ethereal with an already banged up squad. Barely got everyone out alive and then was lucky that all but one Muton Elite were dumb enough to run out of the room into my waiting overwatch ambush.

Got the Blaster Launcher now.

Comment

• I finally bought this game on a steam sale. Now to find the time to play it.
                    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• It's time-consuming and addictive.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tupac Shakur View Post
                        I like the way you think. I also forgot that I still need to raid a Battleship so I can get the Blaster Launcher.
                        That's what the Slingshot DLC is for.
                        "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                        "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Originally posted by Tupac Shakur View Post
                          It's time-consuming and addictive.
                          ****!

So far ironman for me is resisting the urge to play it.
                          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• Don't do Ironman your first time through. Enjoy beating the game once before you agree to be abused by it.

Comment

• So I've played two games so far on normal. Both on ironman because I wanted my mistakes to mean something.

The first game, I got my ass handed to me. Made it as far as when the muton elites and sectopods show up before I lost all the countries. Makes sense since I didn't really know what I was doing.

The second game, this was a breeze. I think I lost about 5 guys total and was carrying guys from my first group into the temple mission. I lost the UK early on, but they must have regretted it, when I was getting As every month and each country had a satellite. In fact, it was getting so easy that I stopped playing about 3/4 of the way through because I got bored. I will try a harder difficulty level next time, because there were moments when I felt I should have lost some people, but didn't because the enemy damage wasn't high enough. When you have a fully equipped crew of colonels and do those missions that are nothing but thin men, you don't even bother with cover anymore.
                              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• Originally posted by DaShi View Post
                                When you have a fully equipped crew of colonels and do those missions that are nothing but thin men, you don't even bother with cover anymore.
                                Hehehehehe

Oh, please, please, PLEASE try that on Classic difficulty...
                                "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                                "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Working...
                                X