No announcement yet.

Anybody ever had that phone call?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know about him only because my mother told us. We've never met him.

ACK!
    Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Talking about secret or unknown family, it's amazing what stuff comes to light over the years. I won't go into detail here, but on some days I ponder about that one line "The seed is strong" from the Game of Thrones and what family secrets it may hold, especially when looking at the apparent mutual unfamiliarity (ha!) of some more or less close relatives (I know it doesn't bode well with genetics, but you get the idea). No secret siblings involved, though, I hope, although there is some half-uncle, known only by his name, from one affair grampa's had some time ago

Comment

I can make that phone call.
        Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Wow, very cool nye! Hope everything goes well, and congratulations!
          If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
          ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Happens to me all the time... my mom was a huge slut
            Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Japher View Post
              Happens to me all the time... my mom was a huge slut
              Yes she was, my son...

ACK!

Comment

Awesome story.

For me, it is worrisome. My dad got a little drunk once and told me I have a couple of brothers from before he met my mother. Means they are 30 or 40 or something. We never discussed it since. I don't know how to deal with it, honestly.
                urgh.NSFW

Comment

My maternal grandfather (not the one I was talking about earlier) has been single ever since he and my grandma got divorced more than 50 years ago. Who knows what secret relatives exist on that side...

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse View Post
                    I can make that phone call.
                    Me too -- or, I could once I did the research, I guess. I have no special interest in finding my birth family per se, but I sure has been a pain in the ass not knowing my medical history; it would be nice to have that.
                    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

While it has not happened to me, I have an Uncle who got a girl pregnant when he was just 14. The baby was given up for adoption. About 4 years ago (at the behest of his GF) that boy contacted my uncle and went to the family Christmas that year. He's about my age and talking with him, he said 'it explains alot about me.". He like my uncle and our family. He wanted to keep in touch be included in family get togethers, but his GF was put-off by the families antics so he stayed away. Anyway, that stuck up little ***** and him are no longer together so guess who's coming to christmas again this year?
                      Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                      1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Originally posted by Tuberski View Post
                        I know about him only because my mother told us. We've never met him.

ACK!

Maybe someday. It's quite a hoot for my brother and I.

Originally posted by Ecthy View Post
                        Talking about secret or unknown family, it's amazing what stuff comes to light over the years. I won't go into detail here, but on some days I ponder about that one line "The seed is strong" from the Game of Thrones and what family secrets it may hold, especially when looking at the apparent mutual unfamiliarity (ha!) of some more or less close relatives (I know it doesn't bode well with genetics, but you get the idea). No secret siblings involved, though, I hope, although there is some half-uncle, known only by his name, from one affair grampa's had some time ago

You mean they don't look alike?

That is common for the women in my extended family. Not much resemblance. The men tend to get the distinctive features (nose and eyebrows).

Originally posted by Az View Post
                        Awesome story.

For me, it is worrisome. My dad got a little drunk once and told me I have a couple of brothers from before he met my mother. Means they are 30 or 40 or something. We never discussed it since. I don't know how to deal with it, honestly.

For my brother and I it is easy. We have nothing to lose, only to gain.

Originally posted by Donegeal View Post
                        While it has not happened to me, I have an Uncle who got a girl pregnant when he was just 14. The baby was given up for adoption. About 4 years ago (at the behest of his GF) that boy contacted my uncle and went to the family Christmas that year. He's about my age and talking with him, he said 'it explains alot about me.". He like my uncle and our family. He wanted to keep in touch be included in family get togethers, but his GF was put-off by the families antics so he stayed away. Anyway, that stuck up little ***** and him are no longer together so guess who's coming to christmas again this year?

That sounds good!
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)
                        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Reunions
                          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly View Post
                            Me too -- or, I could once I did the research, I guess. I have no special interest in finding my birth family per se, but I sure has been a pain in the ass not knowing my medical history; it would be nice to have that.
                            Your name isn't Billy, right?

ACK!

Comment

apparently there is a high risk of incest with adoption reunions, particularly mother-son - ick!
                              Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse View Post
                                apparently there is a high risk of incest with adoption reunions, particularly mother-son - ick!
                                Citiation needed (though in all honesty, I REALLY hope you can't quote a reliable source on this one, as I would prefer not to beleive it).
                                "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

Working...
                                X