• Anybody ever had that phone call?

Hello.

Are you so-and-so?

Yes.

Was your mother so-and-so?

Yes.

Hi. I'm your sister!

-----

Very interesting to hear from someone my mother had to give up for adoption, and to meet her. Although she would not be everyone's cup of tea, I like her a lot. She is like my mother in so many ways. Very similar interests that are very not mainstream. Very different in other significant ways.

A big issue is my concern for her feelings about having been given up and my overcompensating to try to make her feel comfortable or better about it somehow.

Has anyone here had a similar experience? I'd read about it and said wow, that could be strange. Now I know how it feels. It is world altering, in a way. A good way, in my case (and hers, I think).
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

She's trying to scam you out of money.

On an unrelated note, I'm pretty sure I'm your brother. Can you loan me about 6 hundro?
    Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

I checked for scams, and am aware of the pitfalls.

No, bro, I need your help to get my bank in Nigeria going again. There's $49 mil locked up there, I just need your personal details to transfer the money to you. Send them by PM, urgent, and keep this confidential.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

On both your posts...
        "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Were you aware of your sister's existence before this call?
          Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
          Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
          We've got both kinds

Comment

No. It was the bolt from the blue that I have read about. My mother took this to the grave.

It was actually easier for me than I described. She contacted my older brother before me. He called me and discussed it with me. That's actually when the world changed for me. When she called several months ago I was somewhat prepared. That was good as I was a better listener, and was more supportive (I think). Both he and I were quite pleased by the prospect of gaining a sister, but a bit on guard.

She arrived on a trip last week. I've spent several days with her, and it's all been good except for the issue that is a consequence of my trying too hard and is easily corrected.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)

Comment

Well congratulations on your new sister.
              Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
              Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
              We've got both kinds

Comment

That'd be quite surprising to anyone, I'd imagine.

Congrats.

Is she in Edmonton?
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Congrats! That's really cool!
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Very cool. Family
                    "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Thanks.

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                      Is she in Edmonton?
                      She is visiting for a time. I'm getting a chance to get to know her.
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)

Comment

That's cool NYE.

Never had a phone call like that ... but did watch Star Wars so if you ever need any advice ...

Comment

Hmm... maybe not.
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=)

Comment

I have an older brother out there somewhere that was adopted. He'd be in his mid 50's right now.

ACK!
                            Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

You know about him? How did that go?
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=)

Comment

Working...
                              X