Student Expelled for Tweet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you figure?
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

What in the Constitution prohibits a private employer from asking you for your Facebook password? There may (or will) be laws against that, but that doesn't make it unconstitutional. It's possible you could argue that the implied right to privacy in the Constitution extends to this, but I think that's a bit of a stretch.
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

It's not a reach at all. What do you think is their agenda in accessing? What are they examining? You think maybe it's speech?
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Private employers are allowed to limit speech. Think about NDAs.
          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Completely different.
            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Employers shouldn't have the right to demand access to employee's Facebook, anymore than they should be able to demand access to their diary or private mail. They do however have the right to throw a party with lots of alcohol and pry information out of you that way. (You really didn't think that company parties were actually for employee morale, did you?)

Comment

What kind of a douchebag expels a student for using the word "****"?

In hindsight, I'm incredibly lucky that I wasn't expelled for calling one of my teachers "impotent." Or for flipping somebody off and yelling "*******" out the window during driver's ed.
                <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

I remember some soccer players at my school getting suspended for three days for mooning the opposing team's spectators, but at least there were actual butts in involved and not just discussion of butts

And some dance squad members were suspended for having new members put things in their ***** during a hazing ritual, but again, there was actual ****-insertage and not just talk of ***** and the things that go in them
                  <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                    I'm definitely not too happy with companies who ask prospective employees for their Facebook passwords, but I feel that's a step below this. They're not directly violating the Constitution, after all.
                    What????
                    Is that really true?
                    (Some) American companies are planning to force prospective employees to give out their facebook passwords (either that or no chance of getting hired) ???

I mean O.K., spying on Employees by checking what they publicly write on facebook ... thats probably normal nowadays ...
                    but forcing them to give out their facebook password seems to be a major intrusion into your privacy...
                    on the same level as forcing them to give out the password to all of their internet board accounts (like Apolyton) and to their most personal eMail accounts

(isn´t it even against the facebook TOS to give your password to anyone? [with other words ... these companies try to get their prospective employees to breach their TOS with facebook])
                    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Oh, the **** train is just leaving the station on this one. All kinds of people getting all kinds of upset.

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post
                        (isn´t it even against the facebook TOS to give your password to anyone? [with other words ... these companies try to get their prospective employees to breach their TOS with facebook])
                        Yes. In fact, Facebook has come out and said that none of their users should comply with employers who ask this. They also claim it breaks some law, but I'm not sure which one.

Comment

Unauthorised access of a computer system?

HR people could be setting themselves up for a world of hurt.
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=)
                          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither View Post
                            Unauthorised access of a computer system?

HR people could be setting themselves up for a world of hurt.
                            Wouldn´t surprise me...
                            after all these strategies (blackmailing/forcing people into giving out passwords) aren´t discernible anymore from strategies that are used in social hacking

In germany I assume such an attempt would be a violation of Personal Rights as well as Data Privacy laws and maybe even a violation of employment law.
                            (and even if the company wouldn´t get sued for it, it would be enough to sell the story to the press ... considering the fact that german people are extremly sensitized with regards to their data privacy, the publication of these practices would turn out as a huge PR debacle for the company that uses them)
                            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

In germany I assume such an attempt would be a violation of Personal Rights as well as Data Privacy laws and maybe even a violation of employment law.
                              Count in all scandinavian countries.

WTF are wrong with you yanks ?
                              With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Allow me to reiterate:

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
                                Oh, the **** train is just leaving the station on this one. All kinds of people getting all kinds of upset.
                                This is not going to stnad.

Or even stand.

Comment

Working...
                                X