Why isn't this murder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by kentonio View Post
    Do they have more reason than whites? I don't see how the answer to that can be anything other than yes. Is it actually justified? Possibly not, although its certainly understandable. Think of the times during and after slavery, how could black parents not tell their children to fear white people and act towards them in a certain way? By subjecting an entire race to slavery and racism, you basically ensure that the have to frame their own narrative in similar terms. As I said in a previous post, hopefully in a few more generations that will have gone away, but while people are still around who lived through segregation it seems almost offensively naive to catigate blacks for occasional racist expression.

You can obviously deny collective guilt, but when blacks communities today are living with the consequences of their ancestors treatment in terms of wealth and opportunity that becomes a hard argument to support.
    This is why you're a racist. You're argument is inherently racist. "How could blacks not teach their children that all whites are bad?" Because they aren't dumb ass!
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Do blacks in America have more reason/justification to be racist than whites? Yes, I'd say they certainly do. Does that make it right? No, not really, but its certainly more understandable. I do find it especially telling that you don't seem to understand why that might be the case though.

Answer this for me, would you find it at least understandable if the Jews felt uneasy/hostile towards the German people?
      How about Irish people hating the English?
      John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

• Does Kentonio think 9/11 made it more understandable for Americans to hate Muslims?

Comment

• Originally posted by gribbler View Post
          Does Kentonio think 9/11 made it more understandable for Americans to hate Muslims?
          To be fair, 9/11 does not even come close to approaching the magnitude of what whites did do blacks during and after slavery.
          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

• I don't believe there are any slaves alive anymore. Even if there are, they probably aren't any more prejudice than anyone else. Prejudice is just stupid. There's no good reason for it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
              This is why you're a racist. You're argument is inherently racist. "How could blacks not teach their children that all whites are bad?" Because they aren't dumb ass!
              Since when does 'certain way' mean 'bad'? For ****s sake, I know reading comprehension doesn't get taught until at least age 5 or 6, but please try and keep up.

My point was that any black American parent during slavery or later segregation who didn't teach their children to behave differently towards whites was doing their child a terrible disservice. They had to behave differently simply to survive without being beaten/lynched etc. You think those generations of teaching seperation could suddenly get washed away overnight because segregation was abolished?

Originally posted by Felch View Post
              How about Irish people hating the English?
              Irish catholics have a point, Irish protestants not really.

Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
              I don't believe there are any slaves alive anymore. Even if there are, they probably aren't any more prejudice than anyone else. Prejudice is just stupid. There's no good reason for it.
              Yes, obviously if you'd spent part of your life as a slave on racial grounds, you certainly wouldn't feel any kind of predujice towards the racial group who kept you as a slave. Stupid slaves, if only they could have been as wise as you..

Comment

Since when does 'certain way' mean 'bad'? For ****s sake, I know reading comprehension doesn't get taught until at least age 5 or 6, but please try and keep up.

My point was that any black American parent during slavery or later segregation who didn't teach their children to behave differently towards whites was doing their child a terrible disservice. They had to behave differently simply to survive without being beaten/lynched etc. You think those generations of teaching seperation could suddenly get washed away overnight because segregation was abolished?

Irish catholics have a point, Irish protestants not really.

Yes, obviously if you'd spent part of your life as a slave on racial grounds, you certainly wouldn't feel any kind of predujice towards the racial group who kept you as a slave. Stupid slaves, if only they could have been as wise as you..
                You're double talking. You're saying that's not what you're saying and then you say it how you say you aren't saying it. You said you didn't say that blacks should be prejudice against whites, then you say that they should.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
                  You're double talking. You're saying that's not what you're saying and then you say it how you say you aren't saying it. You said you didn't say that blacks should be prejudice against whites, then you say that they should.
                  Lets try this simply:

Being racist = bad
                  Being racist when you or your family have suffered generations of racism = bad but understandable

Oh and someone should probably remind Zevico that when you're trying to claim the moral high ground and deliver a blanket condemnation of racism, you should probably man up and deliver that to the likes of Beck and Limbaugh too, rather than trying to toady and cover up their (many) sins. Just so we don't forget where this conversation started.

Comment

Lets try this simply:

Being racist = bad
                    Being racist when you or your family have suffered generations of racism = bad but understandable
                    What rank idiocy. You seriously pick and choose the racists you sympathise with. To comprehend the causes of racism is different from stating that racism is justified. You've said that several times.
                    Oh and someone should probably remind Zevico that when you're trying to claim the moral high ground and deliver a blanket condemnation of racism, you should probably man up and deliver that to the likes of Beck and Limbaugh too, rather than trying to toady and cover up their (many) sins. Just so we don't forget where this conversation started.
                    This conversation started with a man who was killed, and a media group that has basically defamed the killer as a racist; an assertion for which that media group had no evidence in support of. I don't "toady" to people halfway across the world, whom I've never listened to, and never read, apart from the discussions brought up here. And until the evidence shows that Beck and Limbaugh are racist--which it hasn't--I won't accept that they are.

You've changed your mind like a pendulum from asserting that racism is never justified to explaining that it is "more justified" for certain groups or classes of people to be racist, provided you sympathise with some larger cause with which those racists are associated, and also happen to support. Racist fellow travellers are good but racist political opposition (assuming it is racist) is bad. And you wholeheartedly believe that this is not in any sense a form of hypocrisy. And you wholeheartedly believe that people who think the same way as you do couldn't possibly come to power and conclude that, since racist fellow travellers are good, they should be praised and their misdeeds ignored. This is too mind boggling a concept to comprehend for a person who is praising racist fellow travellers and playing down their misdeeds.

You can't even say "it was wrong to endorse Al Sharpton;" You can't even say "it is wrong to march with the New Black Panthers if you know they are racist," just as it is wrong to march with skinheads or white supremacists anywhere. You are simply in disbelief that Rev Wright is and ought to be reviled by Americans. Mind you, this was a man who openly blamed the Jews from keeping him away from Obama and visited Cuba with Jesse Jackson as part of a "praise Fidel" session. Wounds run deep, so let's be culturally sensitive and never mind the pipe bombs, violence, and racism. Never mind that Sharpton is never criticised by the Administration. This is to the good: he will continue denouncing Jews and brainwash another generation without complaint. So too, Jackson, Wright, and the Panthers. After all, "Wounds run Deep."

Why should we stop future generations from being taught racist claptrap and engaging in race riots if it means pointing out that people who advocated for one cause did so for inconsistent, hypocritical reasons, as did many others in history? Why not empower racists and black supremacists in the name of supposed "sensitivity"? Talk about a recipe for societal suicide.
                    Last edited by Zevico; May 3, 2012, 09:13.
                    "You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."--General Sir Charles James Napier

Comment

• You really need to start including TLDR: summaries.

Comment

• I consider Limbaugh more as a fear monger than a racist. It appeals more to his ignorant fan base.
                        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

You really need to start including TLDR: summaries.
                          Translation - 5 paragraphs is too taxing on my diminished mental capabilities. Thats one for every year of my mental maturity gosh darn it.
                          "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

• Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe View Post
                            Translation - 5 paragraphs is too taxing on my diminished mental capabilities. Thats one for every year of my mental maturity gosh darn it.
                            Oh spare me, Zevico's style is to regurgitate the whole discussion each post in eye bleeding detail slipping in a few strawmen or misquoting peoples positions in the process, and either hoping no-one will have the stamina to read through it all to notice, or that the barrage of new nonsense will drown it out.

Maybe I'd be more inclined to bother reading it if he (and you) had anything to say beyond 'waaah, bad things are bad'.

Comment

• Originally posted by Felch View Post
                              I'd say it's a racist country in general. I know I can't stand Welsh people.
                              You're too hard on yourself, Felch. An intolerance of the Welsh just demonstrates good judgment and taste.
                              "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                              "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Maybe I'd be more inclined to bother reading it if he (and you) had anything to say beyond 'waaah, bad things are bad'.
                                I admit your talent at reducing things to childish proportions is well done. Complete with temper tantrums, name calling, and willful hands in ears behaviors.

Good show.
                                "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Working...
                                X