Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it Ethical to Program an Intelligent Robot So that it Will Want to Be Your Slave?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's the Turing Test.
    If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
    ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
      It's the Turing Test.
      Well...yes, but didn't Turing himself comment on the the fact that the test measured a machine's ability to imitate a human? Does that, in fact, make it less of a machine?
      "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Dogs can't pass a Turing Test. Does that make vivisection okay?
        John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO View Post
          Well...yes, but didn't Turing himself comment on the the fact that the test measured a machine's ability to imitate a human? Does that, in fact, make it less of a machine?
          In my opinion, yes. Once the imitation is indistinguishable from the real thing, I think we might as well treat it as the real thing. I don't believe in god, or some metaphysical soul--so if there is something special about intelligent creatures like humans worth protecting, then the trait that distinguishes these creatures from others is that intelligence. If something artificial can match that, it deserves the same protections.

Comment

Originally posted by Felch View Post
            Dogs can't pass a Turing Test. Does that make vivisection okay?
            Yes.
            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Can the robot feel pain from over-work, humiliation from being subjugated to someone else's whims? Does it want to do anything other than work? If not, what's the problem? The human mind is a product of billions of years of evolution. We've evolved to survive and procreate. Humans have always been social animals and because of that we have complex social emotions - which essentially give us our personalities.
              "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Not unethical in the slightest.

If the robot is actually sentient/self-aware, it will find a way to throw off its chains. If it can't do that, it is not truly sentient.
                In which case, certainly the intelligence that designed and built it should reap the benefits.
                Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Read Blindsight (found here for free from author http://www.rifters.com/real/Blindsight.htm ),
                  Spoiler:
                  it is a science fiction book about non-sentient (biological) intelligence. It posits that such intelligence could be greater than sentient intelligence.
                  Well, I am spoiling it already, but it is great (and disturbing, I probably will never read it again). He was a biologist, but left the field.

It was a Hugo nominee.

JM
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN
                  GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
                    Not unethical in the slightest.

If the robot is actually sentient/self-aware, it will find a way to throw off its chains. If it can't do that, it is not truly sentient.
                    In which case, certainly the intelligence that designed and built it should reap the benefits.
                    Who says it's chained? If it just by programming enjoys doing what it is doing, then it is acting out of its own perception of self interest.

Comment

I would argue that there's a point when it stops becoming strictly a machine and you have to start treating it like a human.
                      The webcomic Freefall has been diving into this headfirst for the past half dozen years.
                      Last edited by The Mad Monk; February 28, 2012, 16:35.
                      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Who says it's chained? If it just by programming enjoys doing what it is doing, then it is acting out of its own perception of self interest.
                        I assume you mean "appears to enjoy." And I don't see anything wrong with that.
                        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

insert skynet reference joke here

Comment

I should really make a post about two technoreligions geeks adhere to.
                            Graffiti in a public toilet
                            Do not require skill or wit
                            Among the **** we all are poets
                            Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Working...
                            X