Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When is it okay to call someone a bigot or accuse them of hating?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ou are being a bigot towards other beliefs.

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
      ou are being a bigot towards other beliefs.
      If not accepting the beliefs of those who try to deny consenting adults the right to marry is "bigotry", then it's good to be a bigot in that regard.

Comment

Also, I am wondering if you will properly (according to how you've adopted it's use) apply the term "bigot" in regards to yourself now Jon?

Comment

How am I being a bigot?

You appear to be one of the less tolerant persons on this site. Why is that the case?

I don't value tolerance as an end to itself. I just try and look at things from the others perspective.

JM
          Last edited by Jon Miller; February 18, 2012, 06:18.
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

How am I being a bigot?
            You called me a bigot for my beliefs that others were bigots. It's a perfect hypocrisy that you don't claim it for yourself. (Doubly hilarious because of the Christian values you profess to hold. Ever read about the mote and the beam?)

You appear to be one of the less tolerant persons on this site. Why is that the case?
            I tolerate things which should be tolerated. I don't tolerate things which should not be tolerated. You will have to be more specific about which issues I am not being tolerant on for me to enlighten you as to why that would be in that specific case. As for those who want to deny marriage to consenting adults, I do not tolerate their attempts to enforce their bigotry. I do however tolerate their right to hold their bigotry. And I certainly tolerate my right to point out their bigotry when it suits me.

You called me a bigot for expressing my views. Then you try to talk to me about tolerance. It's rather funny really.

Comment

"I am accepting, and you should be too, in exactly the same way as I am" and goes about not accepting 50+% of the worlds population

/Aeson
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

"I am accepting, and you should be too, in exactly the same way as I am" and goes about not accepting 50+% of the worlds population

/Aeson
                You are misquoting.

a) I haven't said anywhere that I am accepting in this specific regard. I have plainly stated that I am not accepting of specific things.
                b) I have not told you what to accept or not
                c) I certainly haven't said anyone should be like me
                d) The percentage of the world population is very poorly qualified, it should be "not accepting of their views on disallowing consenting adults to marry".

It's amazing how much wrong you can fit into one sentence!

Comment

I think the religious should live their own lives and not interfere with the lives of others such as who wants to marry whom.
                  Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Don't you people ever find these arguments sapping your will to live?
                    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                      I believe that Catholics believe that Protestants are "faith communities". They go to purgatory, but eventually reach heaven. & the Orthodox Church is back in full communion.
                      Not from our end, we're not. But we don't make specific claims about who goes where, in any case.
                      1011 1100
                      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun View Post
                        In another thread, I got involved in a discussion about whether or not it's possible to be opposed to gay marriage and not be homophobic. I wanted to create a thread to broaden the discussion to talk about bigotry and hatred in general, and about the difference between having a legitimate opinion from that of hatred or bigotry.

I have also sometimes heard that people oppose gay marriage not because they are homophobic, but because it's a matter of faith for them. So applying that logic, is it possible for Christians to view Jews as being morally inferior because Jews do not believe in the divinity of Jesus Christ? That this does not make those Christians anti-Semitic, because this is not a matter of hatred - it's a matter of faith?
                        Christians don't believe that any human being is morally inferior to any other, but that christians are saved. As I understand it, Jews believe that some humans are more righteous than others. This is what Jesus disagreed with them about. He said that no one is righteous, but everyone must be saved by Christ. See the Gospel of John (specifically Chapter 2 and 4).
                        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                          But we don't make specific claims about who goes where, in any case.
                          I'm going Mormon - posthumously.

They can baptize me once I'm dead and I'll look into the making amends with god at that time.
                          "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                          "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun View Post
                            Why not set up a therapy group that encourages Jews to come, and to pray their Jewishness away?
                            Why do you talk about others being bigots all the time you hypocrite?

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
                              Christians don't believe that any human being is morally inferior to any other, but that christians are saved.
                              Yeah, because they are morally superior.
                              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison View Post
                                Yeah, because they are morally superior.
                                Wrong. You have to believe exactly that you are not morally superior in order to be saved. No one who believes they are righteous can be saved.

Comment

Working...
                                X