Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Race a Significant Contributer to Obama Hate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe View Post
    Lol. Its not as if the more complex the regulation the higher the costs to determine compliance.
    I work for the government. Let's be honest, most employers don't really do all that much to determine compliance with new regulations - they go online to see what some guy wrote on his blog about it or they let their CPA or whoever else tell them if there are any changes (and if they don't have a CPA or Third Party Administrator they usually just don't care until they are being told they are doing wrong).
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
      I work for the government. Let's be honest, most employers don't really do all that much to determine compliance with new regulations - they go online to see what some guy wrote on his blog about it or they let their CPA or whoever else tell them if there are any changes (and if they don't have a CPA or Third Party Administrator they usually just don't care until they are being told they are doing wrong).
      I work for the private sector. Lets be honest, confusion regarding the extent of regulations, to whom and if they apply, the extent to which they will be enforced all create levels of doubt that ultimately manifest themselves in uncertainty and unwillingnesss to make business critical decisions every day. So its not only the accelerating number of regulations causing issue, equally important is the lack of clarity and applicability of the regs. Afterall, whole unproductive rent seeking industries exist merely to understand the implications of regulations. (In essence your CPA and Third Party Administrator examples)

To be clear my first read on this was to simply say that your first sentence said it all, and that your mindset as a government employee shows a natural antipathy and stereotype of the private sector. That said I decided to tone down my response.
      "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Ogie, my initial thought was the same as yours and I started typing a response but then figured that with that mind set, nothing I said was going to change his mind.

And yes that there are consultants out there who's only job is explaining how government regulations apply to certain industries tends to validate your opinion over his.
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Well, to be honest, as a government regulator, do I have some anti-pathy towards private sector? On some aspects. Most people try to do what is right, but may not know. But plenty are robbing their employees blind and the regulations are the only things that keep them in check (we sue those people based on those regulations - without them they get away with highway robbery. Heck, there are times they get away with highway robbery anyway because the regulations can't touch certain exemptions that businesses decided to put in laws - that, btw, is the reason some laws are so thick - all the exemptions).
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
            And yes that there are consultants out there who's only job is explaining how government regulations apply to certain industries tends to validate your opinion over his.
            Those consultants are more in the job of explaining how to AVOID government regulations .

Comment

I think there should be a word limit to every law.

JM
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                Those consultants are more in the job of explaining how to AVOID government regulations .
                And if the regulations weren't so damn complicated, maybe avoidance wouldn't be so easy to do or take an expert to figure it out. Either way, there's an expense associated with overly complex regulations. This doesn't even include the other cost to the public. Wasted time inserting/debating all of the overly complex features that protect our lawmaker's pet contributors.

Again, your attitude about the whole thing just reinforces Ogie's comments.
                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

One of the reasons they ARE so complicated, however, is because to minimize every possible loophole, or because of lobbying to put them in there under the statutory exemptions. And then, of course, the exemptions must be but in narrowly because you can't let everyone drive a truck through that loophole.

Comment

One of the reasons, yep, but mostly just like the tax code, protecting those that pay them off.
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

That and all the competition from Singapore, Hong Kong, and New Zealand, the only three countries easier to do business in than the US in 2011.
                      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I'm surprised that Heraclitus voted no. I though that he thought the US was going to torn apart by racial strife at some point...?

Comment

Only because the blackies are going to do it

Comment

Working...
                          X