Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Defenders of Gondolin were Insular Upper-Class Snobs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
    I don't know. If they keep getting ratings then it would seem to be a cheaper option to do another season of a known popular show than to risk trying to develop a show which may or may not get the same level or ratings.
    That's the thing--they don't get ratings. But, they would probably get better ratings that a replacement-level show. P&R is still killing it; Community is in clear decline, but still good-to-very-good more often that not. (This week's dire season finale notwithstanding.)
    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Speaking of Tolkien, here's a fun letter he wrote, to a German publisher inquiring into Tolkien's racial purity:

25 July 1938
      20 Northmoor Road, Oxford

Dear Sirs,

Thank you for your letter. I regret that I am not clear as to what you intend by arisch. I am not of Aryan extraction: that is Indo-Iranian; as far as I am aware none of my ancestors spoke Hindustani, Persian, Gypsy, or any related dialects. But if I am to understand that you are enquiring whether I am of Jewish origin, I can only reply that I regret that I appear to have no ancestors of that gifted people. My great-great-grandfather came to England in the eighteenth century from Germany: the main part of my descent is therefore purely English, and I am an English subject — which should be sufficient. I have been accustomed, nonetheless, to regard my German name with pride, and continued to do so throughout the period of the late regrettable war, in which I served in the English army. I cannot, however, forbear to comment that if impertinent and irrelevant inquiries of this sort are to become the rule in matters of literature, then the time is not far distant when a German name will no longer be a source of pride.

Your enquiry is doubtless made in order to comply with the laws of your own country, but that this should be held to apply to the subjects of another state would be improper, even if it had (as it has not) any bearing whatsoever on the merits of my work or its sustainability for publication, of which you appear to have satisfied yourselves without reference to my Abstammung.

I trust you will find this reply satisfactory, and

remain yours faithfully,

J. R. R. Tolkien
      1011 1100
      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
        That's the thing--they don't get ratings. But, they would probably get better ratings that a replacement-level show. P&R is still killing it; Community is in clear decline, but still good-to-very-good more often that not. (This week's dire season finale notwithstanding.)
        Should I watch this season of Community? I stayed away after some friends told me it wasn't the same, so I'm debating whether I should get caught up for the next season or just keep pretending that anything after Season 3 never existed.

Comment

It's been a decent season, but it feels like it's not getting the TLC it needs to really shine. I swear that Thursday's Community was made just to piss off the AV Clubbers (but I loved Troy's line about doing yoga while the AC teachers wrote down his wisdoms).
          John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Troy is still reliably hilarious, it is true.
            "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
            "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Working...
            X