Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Margaret Thatcher was Britains greatest leader since Churchill. Discuss.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's not like Britain's got a great history of making good on its colonial deals, anyway. Both Hong Kong and Britain stood to gain from Hong Kong remaining an overseas territory. So what if it was a deal? Deals aren't worth a whole lot internationally, and deals made generations ago are worth even less.

It's all moot, obviously, since the handover happened. I'm just pointing out that it didn't need to.
    If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
    ){ :|:& };:

Comment

That's like saying why should the US honor the deal to turn over the Panama Canal? If you aren't willing to go through on deals, no one is making them with you in the future.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
        It's not like Britain's got a great history of making good on its colonial deals, anyway. Both Hong Kong and Britain stood to gain from Hong Kong remaining an overseas territory. So what if it was a deal? Deals aren't worth a whole lot internationally, and deals made generations ago are worth even less.

It's all moot, obviously, since the handover happened. I'm just pointing out that it didn't need to.
        I'd say to think about it, but the result of that was this:

Yes, they absolutely could have. China would not have contested, for a few reasons: 1, if they had tried to fight a war over Hong Kong, enough of the city would have been destroyed to make it worthless anyway. 2, Britain's Navy, although much smaller than ours, is orders of magnitude more capable than China's. 3, both countries have nukes and the Chinese would be reluctant to enter a shooting war with another nuclear power.
        1. This would have been the same case for Britain.
        2. Regardless, it would turn Hong Kong from a colony to an occupation. China wouldn't need to fire a shot. They'd just wait as the Hong Kong economy collapses and the strain of defending it becomes too costly and unpopular for Britain to continue. Not to mention the huge PR disaster it would create for Great Britain.
        3. Again, this would have been the same case for Britain.
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
          That's like saying why should the US honor the deal to turn over the Panama Canal? If you aren't willing to go through on deals, no one is making them with you in the future.
          That's fine--what other territory would the UK need to make a deal about?

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
            It's inconceivable that the UK would ever need to sign a treaty in the future, so why should they care about their reputation? /sarcasm

Comment

As far as I can tell, for the most part treaties aren't really worth that much anyway. I'm sure Imran will indignantly contest this claim with some patronizing bull****.

Comment

Treaties are great if you don't have dishonest little twerps failing to hold up their end of the bargain.
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

A lot of countries manage to get away with breaking trade treaties, weapons treaties, and other stuff without more than a slap on the wrist.

Comment

Yes... because there are lots of dishonest little twerps.
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney View Post
                      that's a silly interpretation. it's perfectly clear that kentonio meant from churchill up until the present day.

You're his spokesman? OK, let's have the official comment on why he didn't seem to think this through very effectively.
                      The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

'Was' does not imply the valuation stopped with Thatcher.

Maybe Kentonio thinks Cameron is the new great leader and so Thatcher was better than Blair.
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)
                        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

My impression as an outsider is that she was a very good leader and PM.

My impression is that she kicked ass and changed conditions in the country from those of bleak prospects and dwindling wealth to those where growth was possible. She also played a valuable role on the international stage (no, not the wars).
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=)
                          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by Bugs ****ing Bunny View Post
                            You're his spokesman? OK, let's have the official comment on why he didn't seem to think this through very effectively.
                            I did indeed mean up till the present day. Blair was ridiculous.

Originally posted by notyoueither View Post
                            'Was' does not imply the valuation stopped with Thatcher.

Maybe Kentonio thinks Cameron is the new great leader and so Thatcher was better than Blair.
                            Thatcher was a far better leader than Blair, because she had principles and stuck to them. You may not have liked what those principles were, but you knew what they were. I used to have a lot of respect for Old Labour despite disagreeing with most of their positions, but New Labour was little more than a media machine. I'm not a huge fan of Cameron and the new Eton leadership, but it was inevitable after Blair. Nick Clegg and the debate performances proved conclusively that TV shine and performace has become far more important than substance to a huge number of voters. Then again the US already proved that with the JFK/Nixon debates way back when. I guess it just took us a while to catch up.

Comment

Originally posted by Bugs ****ing Bunny View Post
                              well kentonio has now stated what he meant. i accept your apology.

now maybe you could explain why you found it so hard to deduce the meaning of a simple sentence.
                              "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                                Yes, they absolutely could have. China would not have contested, for a few reasons: 1, if they had tried to fight a war over Hong Kong, enough of the city would have been destroyed to make it worthless anyway. 2, Britain's Navy, although much smaller than ours, is orders of magnitude more capable than China's. 3, both countries have nukes and the Chinese would be reluctant to enter a shooting war with another nuclear power.

Frankly, I don't know why the British didn't keep it.
                                You've got to be ****ing kidding.

We barely managed to retake the Falklands from a handful of barely trained conscripts. It was a massive undertaking and our military cuts meant that, by the time Hong Kong was given back we wouldn't even have been able to do that.

Plus it was a lease, going back on a deal would have been horrible business, we'd have had no international legitimacy or support for such action. We'd have been utterly ****ed. Even if their tactics purely involved walking slowly towards us until we ran out of bullets.
                                Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                                Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                                We've got both kinds

Comment

Working...
                                X