Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Margaret Thatcher was Britains greatest leader since Churchill. Discuss.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Margaret Thatcher was Britains greatest leader since Churchill. Discuss.

Ok, Mrs T gets a lot of hate from folks, but I'd argue that with the council house selloff, breaking the unions (at a time when they really did need breaking), modernizing the UK and winning the Falklands, she was indeed Britains greatest leader since Churchill. She was by no means perfect, but at the end of her term in office Britain was in a considerably better position than at the start.

Discuss.

If we're talking Churchill's second term in office (ie- the senile years), the only leader you could really quibble about was Harold Wilson. The rest were all awful.

Churchill's first term does throw up the rather inconvenient Clement Attlee, who even Thatcher admitted was one of Britain's greatest ever PMs.
    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Actually thats a major fail on my part. Can't argue with Clem.

Comment

thatcher she did a lot to fix the mess that the country was in during the 1970s. she also won the political argument with the public and shaped the political discourse in the UK. so much so that only now are we starting to move beyond her legacy.

clement atlee was a great PM. i think laz is being a bit harsh, tony blair, while i've no love for the man personally, did achieve a lot.
        "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Bliar is probably better than Thatcher, but he is really Thatcher lite, so that is moot... fact is that after Attlee there was no clearly good PM.
          Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
          GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Originally posted by kentonio View Post
            Ok, Mrs T gets a lot of hate from folks, but I'd argue that with the council house selloff, breaking the unions (at a time when they really did need breaking), modernizing the UK and winning the Falklands, she was indeed Britains greatest leader since Churchill. She was by no means perfect, but at the end of her term in office Britain was in a considerably better position than at the start.

Discuss.
            Wow, you said something I agree with.
            If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
            ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
              Wow, you said something I agree with.
              You might be surprised, I am a UK conservative after all. UK conservative just happens to = US liberal though.

Comment

Churchill was a good PM? I know the question is posed as 'leader'. Seems for both Thatcher and Churchill it was their wars wot made 'em great.
                One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

What is so great about keeping the Falklands?

Comment

it's about something positive after almost half a century of getting battered and rejected post WWII...
                    Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                    GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney View Post
                      i think laz is being a bit harsh, tony blair, while i've no love for the man personally, did achieve a lot.

Note the "was" in the thread title. Blair didn't come between Churchill and Thatcher chronologically.

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                        What is so great about keeping the Falklands?

Oil.

Comment

North Sea oil was what kept Thatcher in power, that and the nationalistic jingoism stoked up by the Falklands War.

Frankly both her and Blair should be strung up...
                          Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

she lead George "dont be wimpy" Bush into the Gulf War and the world paid for it with 9/11 and much more

and then George's son lead Blair into the 2nd Gulf War

who was before them? The word greatest sure wouldn't apply to those two

Comment

Originally posted by Bugs ****ing Bunny View Post
                              Note the "was" in the thread title. Blair didn't come between Churchill and Thatcher chronologically.
                              I think you're being a little tight in your interpretation, there.
                              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Working...
                              X