Should countries enact a Tobin tax?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tupac Shakur View Post
    Did you really think this made any sort of sense?
    I was fully prepared for the eventuality that you wouldn't be able to comprehend it.

Comment

Probably a smart move when you're cranking out pure drivel.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker View Post
        Isn't that a legacy of the 17th or 18th century? Adam Smith complained about them...
        It's the same tax that caused the colonials to get uppity.
        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin View Post
          It's the same tax that caused the colonials to get uppity.
          Tea Party

Comment

Stamp tax, I think it's called. Sort of silly...

By the way, transactions whose price and quantity are reported provide market discovery, which is a positive externality. If anything, they should be subsidized.

Blithely claiming that volume drives volatility ignores the empirical and theoretical evidence which both imply (weakly) the opposite.
            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Killing it is the new killing it
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Tupac Shakur View Post
              Did you really think this made any sort of sense?
              Read it again, particularly the third paragraph. You should be able to make sense of it.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                Stamp tax, I think it's called. Sort of silly...

By the way, transactions whose price and quantity are reported provide market discovery, which is a positive externality. If anything, they should be subsidized.

Blithely claiming that volume drives volatility ignores the empirical and theoretical evidence which both imply (weakly) the opposite.
                Subsidising transactions. Yup, I could make money buying and selling shares to myself. Offer to buy for $1 each and offer to sell for $1 and collect the subsidy, rinse and repeat whilst reinvesting the profits for ever larger scale. Awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson View Post
                  The label "Tobin" doesn't appear to have any real emotional draw to it in any case.
                  Quite true. I, personally, would prefer it to be called something more appealing. Perhaps calling it a "pinky pie' tax would be better.

Comment

a financial transactions tax is a good idea, if implemented properly, and could raise a substantial amount of money.

Research on the possible revenues from a financial transactions tax published by Tax Research LLP in 2010 suggested that total global yields from a tax of one half of a basis point (one 200th of 1% or 0.005%) on spot and derivative foreign exchange dealing would raise approximately $33 billion annually, while a tax at a similar rate on exchange-traded and over-thecounter bond, gilt, derivative, swap and other trades could yield approximately $118 billion per year.
                    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Taxing transactions sounds to me like the kind of tax with the maximum possible deadweight loss.
                      If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                      ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Seriously?
                        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

**** France. That is all.

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                            Taxing transactions sounds to me like the kind of tax with the maximum possible deadweight loss.
                            Um... what do you tax if you don't tax transactions? Non-transactions? "Hey, you've got your money invested in that IRA long enough.. take it out or we'll tax ya!"

Comment

I guess there would be property taxes still. Anything else?

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson View Post
                                I guess there would be property taxes still. Anything else?
                                Income taxes, sales taxes...I was referring specifically to financial transactions.
                                If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                                ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Working...
                                X