No announcement yet.

Graphing Calculators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My graphing calculator was invaluable for differential equations freshman year, but I didn't need it after that; if I'd been in a subject like EE I might have needed it for all of undergrad.
    <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Originally posted by loinburger View Post
      I used to use a TI-83 - I'm sure it's now obsolete several times over, but AFAIK TI is still the brand to beat; it's mostly a question of how powerful you needed the calculator to be (e.g. the TI-92 was out at the same time as the TI-83; the former was better for things like differential equations and multivariate calculus)
      TI-83

Real men use RPN calculators, of course. Amiright?

My university banned all calculators. Graphing or no.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

The TI-83 isn't RPN, you're thinking of the Hewlett Packards.
        If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
        ){ :|:& };:

Comment

To be honest, I mainly use Mathematica instead of my graphing calculator these days. I only use my 89 when Mathematica isn't available.
          If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
          ){ :|:& };:

Comment

I used an hp49g in highschool and had a nice hp50 for a semester before it got lost/stolen in college.

The rest of college I either used a crappy casio or did it by hand... generally any complicated graphing things I did in maple (mathmatica/mathcad).

The students younger than me in college had ti89s and I always thought they were spoiled.

JM
            (mathmatica in grad school)
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

No one has yet mentioned the TI-85. That's what I have. I've had it since high school and it works just fine for me. But I'm not really a fine connoisseur of these things.
              Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP View Post
                No one has yet mentioned the TI-85. That's what I have. I've had it since high school and it works just fine for me. But I'm not really a fine connoisseur of these things.
                Pssh. Get with the times, old man
                "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Buy a new Casio calculator, I've never had any problems with mine.
                  Graffiti in a public toilet
                  Do not require skill or wit
                  Among the **** we all are poets
                  Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                    Oh, I'd WISH they'd do that.

But no, the damn stupid ********* get all confused when they have to use 'D' and 'e' and whatever instead of a real number... god forbid their answer turns out to be '2pi/3De^2', what kind of godless thing is that?
                    Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post

It is the correct thing to do for Physics, Math, and Computer Science.

Probably Engineering too.

Don't know about other disciplines.

JM
                      (In my college we generally were not allowed calculators on tests.)
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN
                      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I feel old.
                        In high school we used slide rules and were happy to have them. It was a step up from the abacus.
                        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

What can you do on a slide rule that you can't do in your head?

JM
                          Jon Miller-
                          I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Ah, you can do some log stuff which I couldn't ever do in my head.

JM
                            Jon Miller-
                            I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
                              I feel old.
                              In high school we used slide rules and were happy to have them. It was a step up from the abacus.
                              You are old.
                              Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                              Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                              We've got both kinds

Comment

I used to have a TI-83. I leant it to the evil bestfriend who ruined my life a long time ago and I'm pretty sure she never gave it back.
                                Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                                "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Working...
                                X