Graphing Calculators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graphing Calculators

My old calculator died, and I need a new one. I was interested in buying a powerful calculator, with graphing capabilities if possible.

Does anyone here got any tips? I used to own a Casio CFX 9850G back in the last years of high school, but that one got stolen, and I'm sure technology has advanced in the past 10 years.
    Indifference is Bliss

TI-89

It's like Mathematica in your pocket.
    If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
    ){ :|:& };:

Comment

TI-89 Titanium
      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

I used to use a TI-83 - I'm sure it's now obsolete several times over, but AFAIK TI is still the brand to beat; it's mostly a question of how powerful you needed the calculator to be (e.g. the TI-92 was out at the same time as the TI-83; the former was better for things like differential equations and multivariate calculus)
        <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Originally posted by loinburger View Post
          I used to use a TI-83 - I'm sure it's now obsolete several times over, but AFAIK TI is still the brand to beat.
          I used a TI-83 in high school but the TI-89 impressed me and I used it in college.

I don't think you can buy a new TI-83 anymore, though.
          "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

I have a relatively new TI-83 plus. Once again Al is wrong!

Comment

It looks like the TI-NSpire is the replacement for the TI-92; the difference between it and the TI-89 (and the difference between the TI-92 and the TI-83) is that the TI-NSpire has a built-in computer algebra system for simplifying equations etc

Comment

Get the TI-84, not the 83 (if you don't get the 89), it's the same thing with more memory. Don't know much about the N-Spire. I had an 83 in middle school, then I lost it and got an 84 for high school and in my last two years of high school I used an 89 for calculus. I use an 89 in college now.

The TI-NSpire is weird. I don't like it much, but I grew up on something else, so it might be better. Don't know.

Comment

Whoah, WTF. The new NSpire has a color screen. When did that happen.

I honestly wouldn't want that though, I wouldn't want to have to replace my calculator batteries more than once a year like I currently do.

Comment

Yeah, it's basically a question of what you're going to use it for. Ten years ago price was also an issue (the 92 cost at least twice as much as the 83), but according to the TI website the Nspire costs about twenty bucks more than the 89, which costs about twenty bucks more than the 83

Also, some calculators aren't allowed on certain exams, but I'm assuming that's not an issue here
                    I honestly wouldn't want that though, I wouldn't want to have to replace my calculator batteries more than once a year like I currently do.
                    I think the Nspire has a lithium battery

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                      Get the TI-84, not the 83 (if you don't get the 89), it's the same thing with more memory. Don't know much about the N-Spire. I had an 83 in middle school, then I lost it and got an 84 for high school and in my last two years of high school I used an 89 for calculus. I use an 89 in college now.

The TI-NSpire is weird. I don't like it much, but I grew up on something else, so it might be better. Don't know.
                      What do you use more memory for?

Comment

Samsung Galaxy S II or the Nexus Prime
                        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                          What do you use more memory for?
                          It comes with several reasonably useful apps that the 83 doesn't, and they take up memory.

Comment

Graphing calculators are for spoiled rich kids. When I was a kid, we had to do it all in our heads and blink our answers to our teachers in binary.
                            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
                              Samsung Galaxy S II or the Nexus Prime
                              Yeah, this is my primary concern... But I've yet to see a decent calculator app. And I'd still need a calculator for exams at uni. So, should I get a crappy cheap-ass calculator since graphing calculators have no future, or will it still be of some use in 5 years time.

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
                              Graphing calculators are for spoiled rich kids. When I was a kid, we had to do it all in our heads and blink our answers to our teachers in binary.
                              I'm tired of having to calculate stuff by hand (not to mention that on some exams, I loose time that could be otherwise better spent), that's why I want the calculator. I've done almost two semesters without one, and it's a bit of a PITA on some subjects.
                              Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Working...
                              X