Qaddafi Killed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
    I wonder if the Guevara t-shirts are going to be replaced by Gaddafi t-shirts now.
    If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
    ){ :|:& };:

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
      Because the US is completely sovereign.
      Then why did the US try and get approval from the UN and then try and claim that the limited resolution that did exist was sufficient grounding if such approval was completely unnecessary anyway?

Comment

• Originally posted by kentonio View Post
        Then why did the US try and get approval from the UN and then try and claim that the limited resolution that did exist was sufficient grounding if such approval was completely unnecessary anyway?
        Because diplomacy exists?

Approval was not necessary, it was useful for diplomacy.

edit: Basically it was an attempt to cause other nations to not think the US acted wrongly and censure or declare war on the US for it's actions in Iraq.

JM
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Bush started a war based on dishonest information which led to the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people. Please explain why a leader should be above legal recrimination just because he's American? Maybe he didn't commit any crime, but saying that you shouldn't have to be held up to international standards of behaviour is a little rich when you repeatedly demand those standards from others around the world.
          At risk of starting an iraq war threadjack, you're honestly an idiot if you think Bush invaded Iraq for shits and giggles. Also, he's a former American president, the idea of prosecuting him for his legal actions as president not only violates common sense but also probably the constitution. Considering how the UN and its affiliates are packed with blatantly anti-American countries and bureaucrats, we'd have to be retarded to actually submit to such ridiculous organizations.

Comment

The US doesn't need permission from anyone to wage war. No one needs permission. We just prefer to have the world's powers at our back when we do things, but if they don't, meh.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
              At risk of starting an iraq war threadjack, you're honestly an idiot if you think Bush invaded Iraq for shits and giggles. Also, he's a former American president, the idea of prosecuting him for his legal actions as president not only violates common sense but also probably the constitution. Considering how the UN and its affiliates are packed with blatantly anti-American countries and bureaucrats, we'd have to be retarded to actually submit to such ridiculous organizations.
              You are an idiot if you think that the constitution has any bearing on what kentonio could or could not do (outside of the US).

JM
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• Geez, BK gets banned and straightaway people try to understand the rationale for our invasion of Iraq--the biggest exercise in flag-waving collective irrationality since the end of the cold war. Do you miss him already, or are you just gluttons for punishment?
                1011 1100
                Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
                  You are an idiot if you think that the constitution has any bearing on what kentonio could or could not do (outside of the US).

JM
                  ...I never said it did.

Comment

• Originally posted by Elok View Post
                    Geez, BK gets banned and straightaway people try to understand the rationale for our invasion of Iraq--the biggest exercise in flag-waving collective irrationality since the end of the cold war. Do you miss him already, or are you just gluttons for punishment?
                    Did he seriously get banned?

Comment

• Yes, six months.
                      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

At risk of starting an iraq war threadjack, you're honestly an idiot if you think Bush invaded Iraq for shits and giggles.
                        Why would I think that?

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                        Also, he's a former American president, the idea of prosecuting him for his legal actions as president not only violates common sense but also probably the constitution.
                        So you believe that national leaders should be immune from any form of prosecution relating to their acts while in office? So to use an extreme example, if Obama decided to nuke France tomorrow he should be allowed to do so without fearing any legal action later?

Considering how the UN and its affiliates are packed with blatantly anti-American countries and bureaucrats, we'd have to be retarded to actually submit to such ridiculous organizations.
                        The UN represents the world, if it really is 'packed with blatantly anti-American countries and bureaucrats' maybe it's time to start wondering why so many countries are anti-American and perhaps start looking to diplomacy rather than force for your solutions. You may not remember but there was a time when the US was looked up to, not looked down on.

The US doesn't need permission from anyone to wage war. No one needs permission. We just prefer to have the world's powers at our back when we do things, but if they don't, meh.
                        Your time as sole superpower has made you unwise, the things you do now will have huge repurcussions on the US in the future with the rise of the Asian powers, a resurgient Russia and a potential European bloc. There's a peice of advice about how to conduct your working life that I think is also appropriate here: Be careful how you treat people on the way up, because you may just meet them again on the way down.

Comment

• HC's just ignorant. Hopefully, he'll grow out of it and try actually learning things rather than just spouting out how he "feels" the world works.
                          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

So you believe that national leaders should be immune from any form of prosecution relating to their acts while in office? So to use an extreme example, if Obama decided to nuke France tomorrow he should be allowed to do so without fearing any legal action later?
                            If he did so legally, i.e. with permission from the required other people within the government, obviously he shouldn't be prosecuted.

The UN represents the world, if it really is 'packed with blatantly anti-American countries and bureaucrats' maybe it's time to start wondering why so many countries are anti-American and perhaps start looking to diplomacy rather than force for your solutions. You may not remember but there was a time when the US was looked up to, not looked down on.

The UN represents the leaders of the countries of the world, most of whom are tinpot dictators of ****hole banana republics. Listening to their opinion is worthless, and they will always hate us because we represent one of the biggest threats to their rule and are a wonderful target for their ire to keep their population distracted from internal problems.

As for being looked down on, that's just not true. For instance, Eastern europe, by and large, is extremely pro-US. Sure, you've got your Frenchie intellectuals and German peaceniks that don't like us, but who's running those countries now? Angela Merkel and Nicolas Sarkozy? Nice big swing from dickheads like Jacques Chirac. I think you'll find that at the end of the day, more people like us than hate us.

Your time as sole superpower has made you unwise, the things you do now will have huge repurcussions on the US in the future with the rise of the Asian powers, a resurgient Russia and a potential European bloc. There's a peice of advice about how to conduct your working life that I think is also appropriate here: Be careful how you treat people on the way up, because you may just meet them again on the way down.
                            Oh noes America is doomed! Someone's bitter.

Comment

If he did so legally, i.e. with permission from the required other people within the government, obviously he shouldn't be prosecuted.
                              Wow..

As for being looked down on, that's just no true. For instance, Eastern europe, by and large, is extremely pro-US. Sure, you've got your Frenchie intellectuals and German peaceniks that don't like us, but who's running those countries now? Angela Merkel and Nicolas Sarkozy? Nice big swing from dickheads like Jacques Chirac.
                              You don't really believe this do you? Just remind me btw when it became so fashionable amongst Americans to denigrate France who used to be one of your closest allies?

Incidentally 'intellectual' means that they use intellect, it's not an insult. If you really think that people who are intelligent and people who like peace are your enemies, you may need to rethink your national approach.

I think you'll find that at the end of the day, more people like us than hate us.
                              I think you'll find that ceased to be true about 6-7 years ago.

Comment

• Actually I forgot about how much Obama had helped the US's popularity. Here's a poll showing the 2000-2010 figures.

http://pewresearch.org/pubs/1630/oba...oj=peoplepress

Comment

Working...
                                X