No announcement yet.

Things to do in Tokyo/Kyoto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Go to Kyoto for the history, go to Osaka for the food.

Sheep posted:
    Bring: clothes, shoes, at least one proper black suit, preferably a few extra suits and/or a blazer*, your favorite deodorant/antiperspirant combo, condoms**, a laptop?

Leave behind: everything else. Japan is the second largest economy in the world, and we have internet here.

There is one caveat: anything you buy here, from clothes (except Uniqlo) to electronics to computer poo poo to dog food will generally be anywhere from 50-100% more expensive than it is in America, even on things made in Japan. Thus, if you don't already have a laptop, I'd recommend buying one and bringing it over instead of paying the "being in Japan" charge for the exact same thing that just happens to cost twice as much.

* Clothes are hit or miss. If you're a big person (like 6' tall or so), most long sleeve shirts will not fit you well here, as the sleeves will probably be too short, as may the shoulders. This goes for stuff like the 6000 yen Uniqlo blazers as well, so, while you can definitely find stuff that will fit, it can be a bit of a chore. Thus I'd suggest you bring at least one blazer, or just have someone post it to you after you get here.
    ** Also it's possible to find condoms that won't cut off circulation, but it's just easier (and a poo poo ton cheaper) to buy a 48 pack of Trojans and throw them in your luggage. You'll save close to $50 doing that, as well.

If you're trying to figure out what style of clothes to take, go have a look at http://tokyofashion.com/. This is how everyone in the country dresses. Locals love to see white people dressing like this too, so you'll get lots of people smiling at and trying to talk to you.

2) Where should I go in Japan?

A: This depends on a number of factors, including: How long do you have? In which season are you visiting? What interests do you have in the country/culture, or in general? How much money do you want to spend? Do you want to move to different places or stay in one area?
    The most basic recommendations that often come up for "I have X days in Japan and don’t know what to do at all" are: (suggestions welcome)
    2 days/1 night: Go to Tokyo. You won’t scratch the surface of what it has to offer, but at least you can experience Shibuya, go shopping in Shinjuku, see the Imperial Palace, climb the Tokyo Tower and walk around Yokohama.
    3 days/2 nights: Go to Tokyo. Add Meiji-jingu, Ginza and Tsukiji to the first point.
    4 days/3 nights: Spend two nights in Tokyo and one in Nikko or Hakone. If the weather is likely to be bad, go to Nikko instead of Hakone.
    7 days/6 nights: Split your time between Tokyo and Kyoto/Nara.
    One to two weeks: Get a Japan Rail pass. Start in Tokyo and work your way west to Nagasaki, visiting the main centres along the way. Fly to Busan then home, or catch the train back to Narita and then fly out.
    Two weeks or more: Why are you planning to come for two weeks if you have no idea what to do? Get a guidebook, cheapo.

Lots of good info in that thread, from gaijin that live there.
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

I have a friend attending ICU in Tokyo. I don't know how well he knows the area but I could ask him for recommendations.
      If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
      ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Hit on schoolgirls.

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, guys. Keep them coming. Guy, can you provide more detail on what kind of tentacle rape I should participate in?
          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Killing it is the new killing it
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Why limit yourself to one? Be adventurous, you *****.
            "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
            "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Tentacle implants are cheap and relatively painless.
              1011 1100
              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Relative to what?
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Tentacle extractions.
                  No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
                    Go to Kyoto for the history, go to Osaka for the food.
                    This. You can see all the good sights in Tokyo in a day or two, while it would take weeks to see all the cool **** in Kyoto.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
                      Tentacle extractions.
                      Correct. But with KH's physics training, I figured he'd be more comfortable if I just invoked general relativity.
                      1011 1100
                      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

OK. My main piece of advice on Tokyo is to get out of Tokyo. I would recommend taking a day-trip to Kamakura, which was the de facto national capital under the first shogunate back in the 1100s and is full of cool temples from that time period. It also has this...

... which you've probably seen many times and is pretty impressive in person.

Your other option for escaping Tokyo is Nikko, whose claim to fame is the ludicrously ornate mausoleum of Tokugawa Ieyasu, founder of Japan's final shogunate and the ******* that moved the capital from Kyoto to Tokyo. The mausoleum is amazing, but I'd give Kamakura the nod over Nikko if you can only do one as its closer to Tokyo and has a better mix of tourist sites. Nikko is really a one-site town, although that site is admittedly awesome.

As for Tokyo itself, the National Museum is great, of a similar caliber to the British Museum or the Met. Could easily spend an entire day there if you like museums. The area around the Imperial Palace is alright, I guess, but access to much of the grounds is limited; the Imperial Palace in Kyoto is actually a much more rewarding visit. I don't get the love for the Tsukiji fish market. Yes, it's cool for a fish market, but that's all it is. I think its enduring popularity in guide books is a sign of how few sites of interest to tourists exist in Tokyo.

You won't be able to watch real sumo, unfortunately, as the last grand tournament in Tokyo for the year takes place in September. Tokyo is the place to watch top-quality kabuki, if you are so inclined. Japanese theater is very strange and can be somewhat boring for a Western audience, however, so I'm not sure you'd be interested in spending valuable time on it.

Cool neighborhoods: Shibuya & Shinjuku (for the crush of Tokyo at its most overwhelming), Ueno (for the stately National Museum area), Roppongi (for nightlife). Oerdin is right that Akihabara (the electronics district) is lame, but he thankfully got the name wrong, preserving the streak.

I'll work something up on Kyoto later. Will probably be longer even though you're spending less time there, as I ****ing love that city.
                        Last edited by Tupac Shakur; September 23, 2011, 16:45.

Comment

30 years ago I liked this place/complex
                          Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                          Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                          "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                          From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Oh, you might also want to visit Yasukuni-jinja, the Shinto shrine to Japan's war dead that honors a handful of war criminals and sparks protests in Korea and China whenever a Japanese Prime Minister decides to visit and pay his respects. The fact that you visited will allow you to easily troll Chinese and Koreans for the rest of your life, and the shrine has a pretty good war museum with an interesting Japanese nationalist bias that wasn't nearly as overt as I was hoping for.

Comment

Oerdin is right that Akihabara (the electronics district) is lame, but he thankfully got the name wrong, preserving the streak.

There have been some admittedly close calls of late, always to be pulled out at the last second, however.
                              "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Originally posted by Tupac Shakur View Post
                                Oh, you might also want to visit Yasukuni-jinja, the Shinto shrine to Japan's war dead that honors a handful of war criminals and sparks protests in Korea and China whenever a Japanese Prime Minister decides to visit and pay his respects. The fact that you visited will allow you to easily troll Chinese and Koreans for the rest of your life, and the shrine has a pretty good war museum with an interesting Japanese nationalist bias that wasn't nearly as overt as I was hoping for.
                                Sweet.
                                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                                X