The Most Selfish Generation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
    God, you're a whiny *****. Almost as bad as a boomer.
    This thread is chock-full of whiners.

Comment

• Originally posted by rah View Post
      A chimp could finish most colleges. We didn't have requirements for employment, we were just happy to get a job. Even back then jobs weren't easy to get. They just didn't give them out to everyone.
      Based on my parents and their friends, experiences must have varied. They all finished university in the early 70s and got good jobs without a thought. Their parents were all working class, yet my dad got international postings in the oil industry - taking us to New York, then Tokyo, back to New York and then London - where my parents ended up settling. Maybe my parents and friends were the best and brightest, but it ended up in a complacence in my parents that generated phrases when I was applying for jobs at 20, like "you've got a degree, of course they'll hire you". At the same time the joke "what do you say to a graduate? Big mac and fried please" was still fresh (it may not have been and I have perception bias). Add to that, they got mortgages that were obliterated by inflation.

I don't begrudge my parents success, but they have it much easier by their own admission. I will also admit that my experience is probably atypical and my dad got lucky
      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

• Originally posted by MRT144 View Post
        I'm ****ing awesome. Deal with it.
        Just got a raise today. 9% merit. BOOYAH!
        "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
        'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

• On another note. I worked hard for my current job. I applied for part time work, foot in door, prove myself, get promoted etc..

Not sure if I am Gen X or the one after. Certainly the cusp.

Comment

• For us, the degree just got us into the interview. After that we had to sell ourselves.
            As I hire people now it's the same. The degree gets you the interview and you have to sell yourself. So I really don't see the difference except there are fewer interviews available.
            I will admit that if I really like a persons qualifications, I'm will to interview them even without a degree, but you'd better be REALLY REALLY good.

My father never told me that a degree guaranteed success, he just said the success was easier if you had a degree. Hard work was still required. And a little luck sometimes. Being in the right place at the right time or knowing the right person could help immensely. But you can't always count on luck.
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by Dauphin View Post
              On another note. I worked hard for my current job. I applied for part time work, foot in door, prove myself, get promoted etc..
              I've always been told that that is a good path to success. Do whatever to get foot in door and prove yourself. Worked for me many times.
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I've always been told that that is a good path to success. Do whatever to get foot in door and prove yourself. Worked for me many times.
                It's the route I advocate, and the route I think most sane and world awake people would too.

Comment

• Originally posted by MRT144 View Post
                  Just got a raise today. 9% merit. BOOYAH!
                  Where do you work/what do you do (simply out of curiosity)?
                  If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                  ){ :|:& };:

Comment

• He works in pr0n. Hence the raise.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dauphin View Post
                      Based on my parents and their friends, experiences must have varied. They all finished university in the early 70s and got good jobs without a thought.
                      If it wasn't a recession, their experience might have been common. 1979 was a recession, now has been a long one.

JM
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN
                      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                        Where do you work/what do you do (simply out of curiosity)?
                        I work as a network admin in the tourism industry. I've been with the company for 3 yearsish.
                        "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                        'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

• 79 was when I finally graduated. Jobs were tough to get and paid like crap.
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

79 was when I finally graduated. Jobs were tough to get and paid like crap.
                            The unemployment rate in 1979 was under 6%.

Whiny *****...
                            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Killing it is the new killing it
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                              The unemployment rate in 1979 was under 6%.

Whiny *****...
                              It was also the lowest it had been for a few years before, and several years after. According to Wiki.

Comment

• And that was when the companies started to stop hiring and as a result, within three years it was over 10%. Not the best of times.
                                And I wasn't whining. Just saying it wasn't the land milk and honey that a lot of people here want to believe.
                                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                                X