No announcement yet.

I just got devoted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The smoking shrinks my lungs, and the drinking grows my liver. My body is in balance.

Comment

Newest innovation from 'new' wine producing countries: instead of putting aging wine in expensive wooden casks, use cheap containers and throw in wood chips. I CAN'T TASTE THE DIFFERENCE. Much cheaper process though. I just wish I could convince my traditional producers to keep up with times. They don't like changes, period.

Comment

In Argentina and Chile you can get good quality for little money
        I need a foot massage

Comment

Cheap South Amerikan wine =win.

It's the cheapest way to get blasted.

Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
          I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

Speaking of new technologies, a friend of mine is a wine scientist (there's a special name that escapes me at the moment) who did extensive research (along with a few others around the country, independently) that found that screw-tops are the best way to seal wine bottles, in terms of the wines' long term quality. All gain, no detriment. Most wines in Australia are now sealed with a screw-top.

When I was last in the States I noticed that it was generally the cheaper wines that were sealed thus, and that when I brought a bottle to someone's house that was sealed with a screw-top they immediately equated it with inferior quality wine.

Are my observations in the States true generally?

What about other countries?

Comment

I like Rioja

Comment

Originally posted by ricketyclik View Post
                Speaking of new technologies, a friend of mine is a wine scientist (there's a special name that escapes me at the moment) who did extensive research (along with a few others around the country, independently) that found that screw-tops are the best way to seal wine bottles, in terms of the wines' long term quality. All gain, no detriment. Most wines in Australia are now sealed with a screw-top.

When I was last in the States I noticed that it was generally the cheaper wines that were sealed thus, and that when I brought a bottle to someone's house that was sealed with a screw-top they immediately equated it with inferior quality wine.

you're right: screws are better. unfortunately, aficionados don't think they're traditional enough...

wine expert = oenologist. (not to be confused with oncology...)

Comment

I just associate the screw top with inferior quality.

JM
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN
                  GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by ricketyclik View Post

They haven't really been around long enough to test how they affect really long term ageing. Some guys in Bordeaux are doing a 25 year test where they have bottled the same wine in multiple different closures, including screw cap, after 25 years they'll open them all, taste the wines and see how they are doing.

They did a 10 year experiment in the 1970s, and the plastics failed after 10 years, but closure technology has moved on since then.

http://www.decanter.com/news/wine-ne...crewcap-gospel

For anything you aren't planning on ageing for more than a few years screw caps are great. Some people think they mean inferior wine, which was previously the case, but you can educate them...

I was at a winery in England which uses a lot of screw caps and one of the guys on the tour came out with the old cork is best bull****... not for English white that will need drinking within a year or two it's not!

I think it's a fairly common perception though, backed up by wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_wine_closures
                    Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                    Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                    We've got both kinds

Comment

wineries in the UK, eek!! i'm sure they're like the dutch harvests, who need to add kg's of sugar to make it drinkable...

Comment

There are many awful ones. But some very good ones. Just go for the right varieties. Bacchus can be great. The southern vineyards are at the same latitude and share the same chalk basin with champagne...

A little known English wine has beaten world-famous champagne houses to "remarkably" win one of the most important awards in the wine industry, being named as the best sparkling wine in the world.

There is a lot of Chapitlization, but not everywhere.

Generally other than Sussex sparkling and a couple of really good Bacchus it's mostly niche stuff, but improving as our climate seems to be warming up in the south.
                        Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                        We've got both kinds

Comment

I didn't know English wine existed, is it the nothernmost wine in the world?
                          I need a foot massage

Comment

There is some in Lancashire that might be.
                            We've got both kinds

Comment

Seriously?? Wow. It rains there pretty much every day. How can that possibly be conducive to good wine?

Good wine has to be tortured, like in the desert climate in the Ribera... freezing nights, hot days, loads of sun. It enhances taste.

How could lots and lots of rain possibly be good, which might only help the fruit to rot?

Comment

It's at Bolton-le-Sands

Quick comparison with burgundy suggests it gets less rain than Burgundy. Much less.

The latest weather forecasts for the UK and worldwide. Offering weather forecasts up to 14 days in advance, hourly forecasting, weather warnings and more.

The latest weather forecasts for the UK and worldwide. Offering weather forecasts up to 14 days in advance, hourly forecasting, weather warnings and more.

There are plenty of cool climate vineyards, it's not all hot continental climate like in central Spain!
                                We've got both kinds

Comment

Working...
                                X