No announcement yet.

I just got devoted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's hardly any English wine produced... a few of the major supermarkets sell it, but not in every store.

If you can find a Waitrose they have some good English wines.
    Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
    Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
    We've got both kinds

Comment

thanks, no Waitrose here though, will try Sainsbury's and Booths

Comment

If you can find a Waitrose get a Chapel Down Bacchus, I would taste it alongside a decent NZ Sauvignon Blanc and a Sancerre/Pouilly Fumé.

Most towns have an Marks and Spencers too... they have a couple of English Sparkling's which are worth a try.

Smaller independent off-licences are more hit and miss... but should have something English. Most vineyards are tiny and sell direct from their vineyard, and with those you'll find most are bad so it's risky.

Oh and the classifications are very loose but English Quality Wine > English Regional Wine > English Table Wine... I wouldn't bother with anything that isn't at least labeled English Regional Wine.

Specifications for the levels here:

Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
        We've got both kinds

Comment

I think Sainsbury's have an English Sparkling rosé in their excellent Taste the Difference range...
          We've got both kinds

Comment

Oooh, never heard of Booths, a northern chain, but they have that Chapel Down Bacchus.

Here at Booths, we really know our wines.  From our own Booths range of wines, to the brands you’ve come to know and love, we’ve got a selection of around
            We've got both kinds

Comment

Sparkling is really what we're becoming famous for, but I think the best Bacchus are really the wines that have the most expression of Englishness, they should taste of nettles, gooseberry, and all things English hedgerow.
              We've got both kinds

Comment

good, i'll walk to a Booths then and ship myself a few of these!

Comment

i'll compare these with my Legaris and Protos, see what happens

Comment

What is it there? Mostly Verdejo and with some Sauvignon Blanc in Rueda?

It will be very different... much closer to a cool climate Sauvignon.
                    We've got both kinds

Comment

Yes, verdejo... wonderful stuff! It's like Californian Valley Rose in that you don't 'sense' it until you stand up.

Comment

My my, these Bacchus were over 9 quid a pop, should be good!

Comment

Well... English wine is expensive, cost of production is high for all quality levels, and we have high taxes.

But I guess it will be something no-one in Spain has tried.
                          We've got both kinds

Comment

Most people in Spain never left the country (well, as the English, actually), let alone try wine further than from Italy.

Of course, I'm not proper Spanish

Comment

Most English people have been abroad! Even if just to France or Spain.
                              We've got both kinds

Comment

I always thought that 'you southerners' consider anything outside the M25 'abroad'

Comment

Working...
                                X