No announcement yet.

I just got devoted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spain has incredible wine diversity, even just sticking within Spanish wine if you only drink Rioja and Ribera it is probably a mistake.

You'd be missing out on some incredible stuff from the following big gun regions for a start:

Priorat, Navarra, Rueda, Penedès and have had some really good Albarino from Rías Baixas

Navarra is home of some absolute bargains for fans of Rioja and Ribera! At least at the prices they appear in the UK (and if you can find any).
    Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
    Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
    We've got both kinds

Comment

New Zealand Marlborough region Sauvignon Blanc.

If you like wine, you will like this. I've bought nothing else in whites for three years now, the rest pale (boom-tish!) in comparison.

Comment

Problem is, where do we get it? W/o import export it never arrives on European shores.

Comment

New Zealand whites used to be inexpensive in the US. They have crept up in price. Go instead, for Chilean whites. As ever, YMMV.

Spanish reds are available in the US and tend to be reasonably priced. Mostly riojas, though.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Chilean reds can be good, too. Conha y Toro Casillero del Diablo!!!
            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

I'm drinking a wine called "California".

Comment

I prefer Taylor-Fladgate Tawny port 20. I also like Highland Park 12 (or 18) single malt.

Wine, I drink if someone else is buying.
                There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Highland park is a bit snobby, because it's exported. I prefer a double dalwhinnie instead.

Comment

By my standards you're already snobby if you have a favorite whiskey at all JD excepted. GD yuppie bastards.

Comment

Ardbeg, Macallan cask strength & Lagavulin are awesome
                      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Killing it is the new killing it
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

JW black is reasonably good for a cheap blended whisky
                        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Killing it is the new killing it
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH View Post
                          Because fulfilling your requirements for liquid purely with alcoholic beverages is severely detrimental to your health.
                          I doubt this. I bet you could live a perfectly healthy life drinking only wine.

Comment

Originally posted by Zoetstofzoetje View Post
                            Problem is, where do we get it? W/o import export it never arrives on European shores.
                            Maybe not in Spain but there's tons of Kiwi Sauvignon Blanc in England. I like it but it has suffered from over exposure in recent times.

Did move me onto Pouilly Fumé & Sancerre though.

We don't live in one of the biggest wine producing nations in the world though, so I can see why you have less need of imports.
                            Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                            We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker View Post
                              I doubt this. I bet you could live a perfectly healthy life drinking only wine.
                              In Europe, they used to drink only alcoholic drinks, for hygiene reasons, beer had been boiled and was less likely to immediately kill you than the water... but their life expectancy was not exactly great, and it was pretty weak stuff.

Drinking ~ 2 litres of wine a day (almost 3 bottles) is well into alcoholism territory, people drinking that amount aren't particularly healthy, but it would probably take a long time for them to die of it. And you certainly couldn't do it from birth/weaning, your liver matures slowly.
                              We've got both kinds

Comment

I have seen people get liver disease/etc, it isn't pretty.

JM
                                Jon Miller-
                                I AM.CANADIAN
                                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Working...
                                X