No announcement yet.

Building a home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They also say 'yinz' over there as an improper pluralization of the pronoun you... like instead of yall or youse, they say yinz.

Bunch of weirdos if you ask me.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• I just noticed the lights in the kitchen... is recessed lighting an option? I'm surprised that wasn't the default in a house like this.

And is crown molding an option?
      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• Originally posted by Boris Godunov View Post
        I just noticed the lights in the kitchen... is recessed lighting an option? I'm surprised that wasn't the default in a house like this.
        You referring to the pendant lights? Those are actually an option. We're getting those 3 lights installed electrically (with a switch), but not necessarily with pendants or those particular pendants. There are recessed lights already in there, the 3 hanging down are more accent lights than anything else. I'm not decided on if I like them.
        And is crown molding an option?
        Yes. Haven't decided on this either. Do you not like them?
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Keep in mind that my SO and I are both analytical gays, not artistic gays. I'm relying on the taste of many of the designer artistic gays we'll have when choosing the finishing options.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• Just realized you probably didn't mean the pendant lights, but the other non-recessed lights much closer to the ceiling. Yes, the home we toured actually had recessed lighting in place of those weird 2-light pair things. We'll probably go recessed as well.

There's a ridiculous number of choices for just about every fixture/finish in the home. We've not even started that process yet. Right now the focus is on the basics -- where are light fixtures to be installed, which switches control them, etc.

Comment

• Yes, I meant the other lights, not the pendants. I like those, but gotta have the recessed lighting.

I like crown molding in the first floor formal rooms. It adds some definition and interest to the ceilings, and I actually think it makes the rooms feel taller.

With tray ceilings, it's even better:

Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• Comment

• (for clarification, I'm laughing at the search terms. Poly )

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher View Post
                    These are pictures of the showhome, which is pretty close to how we'll finish it (aside from the customizations I've mentioned).

http://www.sterlinghomesgroup.com/ph...sx?ModelID=166
                    But that is absolutely hideous inside!!!
                    Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                    Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                    We've got both kinds

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher View Post
                      It's pretty much what you would expect from a couple of gay professionals building a house.
                      Aside from the "flexing room" you havent mentioned anything I would've expected. Where's the six person glass shower in the middle of the room?

One thought that might help for future (potential) problems is to take as many photos as you can during the building process.

I keep thinking of small stuff that is wrong in our house. Check the position and configuration of light switches. It's not the end of the world, but we have light switches that are "illogically placed" i.e. I think they are on the wrong side of the door and stuff like that.
                      We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                      If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                      Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                        Good God, you're going to Carnegie Mellon too?

Don't you want to differentiate yourself from your brother?
                        I'm differentiating from my identical twin brother, I guess. He's going to RIT.

I'm going to miss him a lot, actually...
                        If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                        ){ :|:& };:

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeH View Post
                          But that is absolutely hideous inside!!!
                          I, of course, will not be choosing the same impractical furniture and decor.

Comment

• Originally posted by SpencerH View Post
                            Aside from the "flexing room" you havent mentioned anything I would've expected. Where's the six person glass shower in the middle of the room?
                            That's going in the hidden sex dungeon we're building in a sub-basement.

One thought that might help for future (potential) problems is to take as many photos as you can during the building process.

I keep thinking of small stuff that is wrong in our house. Check the position and configuration of light switches. It's not the end of the world, but we have light switches that are "illogically placed" i.e. I think they are on the wrong side of the door and stuff like that.
                            Yes, this annoyed the hell out of me in Ontario. Every home/condo I was in had the light switches outside of the rooms they belonged to. When I had people crashing in the main living area of my condo, I had to open my bedroom door and reach around to turn on/off the lights. ****ing bizarre.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boris Godunov View Post
                              Yes, I meant the other lights, not the pendants. I like those, but gotta have the recessed lighting.

I like crown molding in the first floor formal rooms. It adds some definition and interest to the ceilings, and I actually think it makes the rooms feel taller.

With tray ceilings, it's even better:

I'll have to see how much that'd be, at least on the main floor. I've a feeling I'm going to be "surprised" by a lot of the cost a lot of the finishing touches will cost.

Even baseboards -- most builders don't include them standard, and charge you an obscene amount to install them.

Comment

• What kind of internet connection will it have? That is really the important thing, right?
                                If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                                ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Working...
                                X