Building a home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
    What kind of internet connection will it have? That is really the important thing, right?
    The neighbourhood is outfitted with fibre-to-the-home. The speed, from Shaw, is currently 1Gbps (it's in a trial phase).
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeH View Post
      But that is absolutely hideous inside!!!
      My big question is "No telly?!"
      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

• Originally posted by Provost Harrison View Post
        My big question is "No telly?!"
        Indeed. Absurd!

Thinking of wallmounting a TV in the great room (the room off the kitchen), above the fireplace. Not the best location for dedicated TV watching, but the emphasis of that room is more social than anything else.

Planning on putting a 65-70" TV in the upstairs bonus room.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• are you ever planning on using the fireplace. If so, I don't know if I'd want an expensive TV there.
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• It wouldn't be a high end TV up there above the fireplace. Most likely my old TV (42") I'm upgrading to the 65-70. Probably not going to be using both simultaneously a whole lot.

Comment

• Even if not simultaneously, there is usually enough heat leakage from the fireplace that it could be a problem. But it would depend on the front type, distance, and the size of the mantle.
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Is it worth upgrading the shingles? By default it comes with "35 year" asphalt shingles. Calgary gets a lot of snow & hail and not a lot of heat, if it matters...

Comment

• It depends on what you're upgrading to and the cost. But in general, 35 year asphalt shingles should be sufficient. If the upgrade is to ceramic shingles, they're more likely to be damaged in storms, and maintenance is more expensive. Especially after they've faded a touch. Yes, they look nicer but generally not worth the cost. If the upgrade is to another asphalt type shingles, it's usually not worth it either, unless the cost is quite negligible.
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• I agree with Rah. My first thought was no, spend the money on increasing the R value. I did a quick bing-chek though and found that somewhere between 30 to 40 years the shingles change from the older 3 flap style to another style that is more wind resistant. I still wouldnt do it though.
                    We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                    If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                    Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

• Cool. What about plumbing pipes? By default it's some kind of plastic (PVC esque). Copper is apparently a very expensive "upgrade" that almost no one picks because the "plastic" is supposedly stronger (according to the builder).

Comment

• It depends if you're talking about feeder lines or drainage lines. For drainage lines (all non pressure lines) PVC is preferred since they're cheaper and easier to maintain. If they're pressure feeder lines, copper.
                        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• what size backyard ?

watch out for neighbors and their motherf%^&*ing barking dogs
                          anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

• I'm not sure on the dimensions yet. I'm supposed to get the plotting tomorrow.

We back onto "greenspace" (a ~20 foot wide corridor with grass, trees, and a paved path in the middle), and then a house on the other side of that. But we're on a hill -- I'm on the top, they're quite a bit below...

The sizing of the backyard won't be huge, the lots are just quite small now with the new zoning density restrictions. I don't need a large backyard...if it can fit a deck and a BBQ, I'm pretty much happy. May put in a fire pit with seating later.

Anything to take up space so there's less grass to cut.

Comment

• There's also a ton of greenspace nearby. Some of it is maintained (public park, playgrounds, etc), but most of it is large swaths of environmental reserves (ravines, fields, etc). There's a network of paved pathways like the one behind my house to connect to all of them.

Comment

• Originally posted by SpencerH View Post
                                I agree with Rah. My first thought was no, spend the money on increasing the R value. I did a quick bing-chek though and found that somewhere between 30 to 40 years the shingles change from the older 3 flap style to another style that is more wind resistant. I still wouldnt do it though.

Wind resistant?

You might want to ask some other homeowners in and around Calgary about this, Asher. Especially if you are up high and have no wind breaks.
                                (\__/)
                                (='.'=)
                                (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Working...
                                X