A Game of Thrones - TV Show Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Wezil View Post
    At this point I wouldn't find that at all surprising. The "book" is generally better than the "movie" and I'm less impressed with the TV version of GoT with each episode.

If the books ever get finished I will read them after the TV version and get a whole new bunch of surprises (presuming of course I survive that long).

You'll be fine as long as you can make it to 2020, give or take a few years.
    If at first you don't succeed, take the bloody hint and give up.

Comment

• GRRM interviewed by BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-18172737
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Haven't read them; no immediate plans to do so. The TV series will be my canon until it ends.
        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Originally posted by embalmer42 View Post
          You'll be fine as long as you can make it to 2020, give or take a few years.
          Ain't that the truth!
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• What's the plan for the series when it reaches the latest book?
            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• I suspect there will start to be big enough changes that book comparisons will get less relevant shortly. Particularly in the East.

That said, GRRM swears up and down that the show won't pass the books, even if the show has to take a year off.
              "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

• Didn't he have a note at the end of book 3 saying book 4 would be out in a year? How long did it take for book four to come out again? 6-7 years?
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Given that he's provided the key plot elements to the producers already, and there's a lot of money riding on it, I'd guess the show would overtake the books and the show-watchers will be the ones filling this thread with spoilers.

Then, 14 years after the show finishes, he'll bring out the book and it'll be radically different in order to boost his sales.
                  The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

• Originally posted by Dinner View Post
                    Didn't he have a note at the end of book 3 saying book 4 would be out in a year? How long did it take for book four to come out again? 6-7 years?
                    I think it was at the end of 4, but pretty much. But that's part of why I think changes are starting soon, to avoid the "knot" that is supposed to have been the cause of the delay and that a lot of book readers said is responsible for the problems in books 4/5.
                    "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

• Don't forget that they are going to start splitting the books into multiple seasons.
                      Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• Originally posted by Bugs ****ing Bunny View Post
                        Then, 14 years after the show finishes, he'll bring out the book and it'll be radically different in order to boost his sales.
                        I'll be shocked if he lives 14 years from today. I'd imagine that most obese 63 year olds don't tend to live past 80.
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Koyaanisqatsi View Post
                          I think it was at the end of 4, but pretty much. But that's part of why I think changes are starting soon, to avoid the "knot" that is supposed to have been the cause of the delay and that a lot of book readers said is responsible for the problems in books 4/5.
                          I don't see how you could avoid it in the series - as Martin was right that he couldn't have done his original plan with book 4 without it being really confusing.

Though by the end of Book 5 we finally get to the point of time where Martin wanted to be when he started writing Book 4.

Comment

• No, you couldn't have done his original plan without it, but I think there's another potential solution that fits some of the changes they've already made and addresses some of the problems of show watchers not having as much patience as book readers. Certainly could be wrong, though.

Comment

• One of my favourite bands did "The Rains of Castamere"...it's on the season 2 soundtrack.

I can't wait to hear this during a certain scene...

Last edited by Asher; May 25, 2012, 22:23.
                              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• I was wondering if that would even be in the show.

Jesus H Christ in a cardigan sweater, the internet might ****ing explode when that episode airs.

I wonder if they'll have "The Bear and the Maiden Fair" as well.
                                "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                                "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Working...
                                X