A Game of Thrones - TV Show Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
    Well bookStannis is very different. He counters Melissandre's wishes plenty of times (usually involving who she wants to burn). And Davos being the Hand of the King is mostly based on the fact that he keeps telling Stannis not to do what Melissandre wants him to do.
    You said it yourself, 'he counters Melissandre's wishes plenty of times." But not all the time so him doing it is not that big of a stretch.

Heck I figured he wouldn't go through with it but knew he was capable of it.
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
      Well bookStannis is very different. He counters Melissandre's wishes plenty of times (usually involving who she wants to burn). And Davos being the Hand of the King is mostly based on the fact that he keeps telling Stannis not to do what Melissandre wants him to do.
      You said it yourself, 'he counters Melissandre's wishes plenty of times." But not all the time so him doing it is not that big of a stretch.

Heck I figured he wouldn't go through with it but knew he was capable of it.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• I don't see why everyone is thinking Stannis is out of character for sacrificing his daughter. The show lays out clearly that
        (1) He is desperate (far more desperate than in the book, but the show doesn't have infinite time and characters to throw at the audience)
        (2) He sincerely believes that only he can save the entire race of mankind from the Walkers
        (3) He is the kind of guy that makes tough decisions that cost him dearly. He already stood by and watch Melissandre burn to death his brother-in-law for no greater crime or advantage than that his brother-in-law was loyal to his gods. He abetted Mel in killing his own brother. This is a guy who pays any price, because he is a rigid believer in his own cause (which is no more selfish than, say, John Brown's).

Yeah, it was hard to watch a character we have grown to like a lot die so horribly. That's what this show does. Stannis is no more or less evil now than when he slowed Mel to kill is bro-in-law and Renly. It is just more naked to us how amoral he really is. He clearly considers himself above such considerations as kinslaying. Welcome to Westeros. Or Planet Earth.
        The dogmas of the quiet past, are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty…we will be remembered in spite of ourselves… The fiery trial through which we pass, will light us down, in honor or dishonor, to the last generation… We shall nobly save, or meanly lose, the last best hope of earth.
        - A. Lincoln

Comment

• I think the problem is that most of the book fans cut him slack because of what he is trying to accomplish.
          This one is just too hard to ignore. And since it wasn't in the book, they think it drastically changes a character they liked into one they can't.

When he marches north of the wall he seems like the only person acting like the true king.

There are not that many characters that you can like, and this made sure that there is now one less.
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Oh, absolutely - yet, Stannis wasn't really an likable character from the very start. He is a self-righteous prig who only seems likable in comparison to the rest of the major characters. He's always been a Puritan, and he remains one. As he sees it, the choice is between his daughter's life and the life of everyone else. He's not likable, but he is, in a twisted way, admirable.
            The dogmas of the quiet past, are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty…we will be remembered in spite of ourselves… The fiery trial through which we pass, will light us down, in honor or dishonor, to the last generation… We shall nobly save, or meanly lose, the last best hope of earth.
            - A. Lincoln

Comment

• Now who am I going to support?
              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• I stand behind Princess Perkytits!
                “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

• Originally posted by pchang View Post
                  I stand behind Princess Perkytits!
                  I stand in front of Princess Perkytits!

Comment

• Originally posted by pchang View Post
                    I stand behind Princess Perkytits!
                    It was implied that Princess Perkytits prefers to be on top.
                    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                      "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
                        It was implied that Princess Perkytits prefers to be on top.
                        I can support her from that position too.
                        “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

Comment

• Strong arms, eh?
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• You've seen my broad shoulders. Besides, she's just a wisp of a thing.

Comment

• Well, that was cheerful.

Incidentally, Mereen really needs to sort out its door security at major sporting venues. We can all accept that the odd hip-flask of vodka is going to get smuggled in. That's only being realistic.

But javelins? Damn, that's slacking.
                              The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

• They probably had carry permits.
                                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                                X