No announcement yet.

A Game of Thrones - TV Show Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NA I just find it amusing how serious book fans take it.

Don't get me wrong, I read and enjoyed the books all the way up to the point were he took a decade off.
    After that I figured if he couldn't be bothered to write them, I would bother to read them.
    I'm actually enjoying the show more now that I don't know what's supposed to happen.

I just enjoy the banter between the two more than other scenes.
    So to hear it discredited just because he didn't mention Dorne seems a bit silly to me.
    But you're entitled to score the scene to your own standards.

And I never *****ed that TOM B never appeared in the LOR movies.

It's entertainment, period. And I found the chat entertaining. Especially when they showed her up on her dias. Come on, he's already a dwarf.
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Ignoring Dorne is kind of a big deal - so, who is going to support you, Dany? Oh, I dunno, what about that 1/7th of the Kingdom who is probably jumping up and down for you to come back...
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• I'm just saying that not hearing that didn't subtract from my enjoyment of the scene.
        I could see them being happy if the Lannsters were ousted but not necessarily if she took over. Unless there was something in the books not mentioned. It has been a long time since I read the books.
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• The whole Elia of Dorne thing factors in here.

And yes, there are other things from the books, but even just watching the show, you know where Dornish loyalties lie. The whole not declaring for any of the claimants to the throne, or sending help to anyone is a big clue.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• Without the books it's easy to assume that it's just Lannister hate.
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
              Ignoring Dorne is kind of a big deal - so, who is going to support you, Dany? Oh, I dunno, what about that 1/7th of the Kingdom who is probably jumping up and down for you to come back...
              Dorne is the least populated region, so it might be more like 1/10th.
              "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
              "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Having never read the books, I can confirm that the TV story is working fine.
                The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

• Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
                  Dorne is the least populated region, so it might be more like 1/10th.
                  I was merely talking Kingdoms... but a 10th is still quite a substantial base to launch an offensive. You can easily pick going up the Kingsroad to the Stormlands or over the Red Mountains to the Reach (with dragons and Unsullied, even the power of the Reach isn't enough to counter that).

Comment

• But doesn't the upcoming nuptials give then a crack at the throne. (a tiny one but one none the less)
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• I don't understand why people are *****ing about Tyrion not mentioning Dorne. It could easily be (and, in fact, logically is) true that he and Dani simply assume that Dorne will support her, and so don't see any need to mention Dorne and the Martells. Tyrion is, rightly, only looking at the houses which would be in play, and if he says the House Tyrell isn't enough, he is really saying that House Tyrell, plus, of course, House Martell, aren't enough. That's true enough.

That was an excellent episode. You have to wonder, though, how the Walkers knew to attack at that precise moment. Seems to me to be either slightly sloppy writing ("we need a big scene.. oh, how to create one... I got it!) or else it is implying that the Walkers have spies in the lands of men.

I did like the fact that the fighters in this battle fought more intelligently than in almost any fight we have seen so far. Some even used the points of their blades! The windmill style attacks were getting old.
                      The dogmas of the quiet past, are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty…we will be remembered in spite of ourselves… The fiery trial through which we pass, will light us down, in honor or dishonor, to the last generation… We shall nobly save, or meanly lose, the last best hope of earth.
                      - A. Lincoln

Comment

• Which nuptials? To the guy from slaver's bay? No, the westerosi don't care about foreigners. Like mideval Europeans they don't much care about and race. They are kind of an insular people on average and even when one of their great lords converts to a foreign religion that is enough for many of them to abandon him.
                        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Originally posted by grumbler View Post
                          It could easily be (and, in fact, logically is) true that he and Dani simply assume that Dorne will support her
                          Merely a fanwank. No indication that they assume it at all. And there is likely a clunky reason for that (which btw has the same amount, if not more, of support of "well, they assume Dorne will support her"):

Spoiler:
                          So when Doran reveals that he's been plotting against Robert Baratheon and his heirs all along it'll come across as more of a surprise to the show watchers

Besides, why would Dany assume it? She didn't even know her father was really crazy until Barristan told her it was true.
                          Last edited by Imran Siddiqui; June 2, 2015, 00:57.

Comment

• Are the zombies supposed to be as fast as they were depicted in the last episode?

How was it in the books?
                            Quendelie axan!

Comment

• Originally posted by grumbler View Post
                              I don't understand why people are *****ing about Tyrion not mentioning Dorne. It could easily be (and, in fact, logically is) true that he and Dani simply assume that Dorne will support her, and so don't see any need to mention Dorne and the Martells. Tyrion is, rightly, only looking at the houses which would be in play, and if he says the House Tyrell isn't enough, he is really saying that House Tyrell, plus, of course, House Martell, aren't enough. That's true enough.
                              THIS!

Though I did like the hopeless back and forth between Imran's fanboy ranting and rah's meh decidedly entertaining...
                              "Aha, you must have supported the Iraq war and wear underpants made out of firearms, just like every other American!" Loinburger

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                                Merely a fanwank. No indication that they assume it at all. And there is likely a clunky reason for that (which btw has the same amount, if not more, of support of "well, they assume Dorne will support her"):
                                "Merely a fanwank"? Are you being obnoxious simply because you can, or because you really enjoy being obnoxious?

And there is no reason whatever to believe that there is anything to your "likely" clunky reason.

Besides, why would Dany assume it? She didn't even know her father was really crazy until Barristan told her it was true.
                                Why would she assume it? Because Ser Barriston would have told her. Not every word that would have passed between the two appeared on screen.
                                The dogmas of the quiet past, are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty…we will be remembered in spite of ourselves… The fiery trial through which we pass, will light us down, in honor or dishonor, to the last generation… We shall nobly save, or meanly lose, the last best hope of earth.
                                - A. Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                                X