No announcement yet.

A Game of Thrones - TV Show Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It was particularly cruel to get him aroused one last time before bringing the party to an end.

Nice touch.
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
      Not really supposed to, at this point. He is a traitor and a child-murderer, after all.
      I'm not entirely sure that rising up against your captors is really being a traitor. Since we read it from the Stark's POV, that's what it seems like, but Theon was always a hostage.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• In regards to that (book spoilers)

Spoiler:
        many have complained that the Theon torture scenes are pointless and take away from the more compelling storylines. However, we only learn of his torture through his inner monologue in Book 5, which would not translate to the screen at all; and these scenes also help to establish Ramsay, who is going to be one of the main, if not THE main, villain of the next few seasons. He is a pure psychopath, and makes Joffrey look like a puppy dog.

x-post, dammit Siddiqui.
        "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
        "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
          I'm not entirely sure that rising up against your captors is really being a traitor. Since we read it from the Stark's POV, that's what it seems like, but Theon was always a hostage.
          He wasn't Robb's hostage. He was as a brother to him, and served him of his own free will.

Comment

• He was adopted.
            "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
            "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

He wasn't Robb's hostage. He was as a brother to him, and served him of his own free will.

So when Ned died, all the Starks would have been ok with him leaving to go back to the Iron Islands? And, you know, talk about your mega Stockholm Syndrome... the guy was a ward of the Starks since he was a little child.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• Well. the Starks WERE okay with him leaving to go back to the Iron Islands. Because they let him leave to go back to the Iron Islands.

Comment

Well. the Starks WERE okay with him leaving to go back to the Iron Islands. Because they let him leave to go back to the Iron Islands.

To try to get that Greyjoys on Robb's side... not to go and live there.

Comment

• I fail to see your point. They were letting him go in any respect.

Spoiler:
                    Also, don't get me wrong, I'm not unsympathetic to Theon's perspective of being a hostage. But, he still betrayed his foster brother's trust, backed the wrong horse, and did not push hard enough for his plan which was both extremely logical and ethical. He then murdered a couple orphans. In the world of Westeros, it is not hard to argue that he deserved punishment for his transgressions; I also should state that his storyline in book 5 is my absolute favorite, and I am rooting very hard for his continued redemption.

Comment

• Robb being stupid is par for the course. They weren't letting him go, because he was expected to come back and serve.

Theon was held as a hostage and stripped of his Iron Islands identity. He was held so his father wouldn't rebel again. It doesn't take a genius to realize that someone who had that sort of history will have some daddy issues and massive resentments deep inside, which will manifest itself if he ever sets foot on his original home again.

Comment

• Currently trying to avoid getting too anal over the query "How the blue blazes is Princess Perkytits managing to keep an army of 6000+ supplied, in a desert?".
                        The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

• Basically, they just keep looting cities and towns while freeing slaves and trading with towns where slavery is not allowed. They're still constantly short of supplies.
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dinner View Post
                            Spoiler:
                            The castration thing is never directly said in the book. There are bits where the bastard of Bolton tells Theon "you're not even a man" but he never came out and said Theon's balls got cut off plus there was the whole bit about renaming him Reek and making him pretend to be a dog. It was nice to see some T&A work its way back into the show though.
                            Spoiler:
                            When Ramsey in the books is about to consume his marriage with fake arya, theon is brought in to 'prepare' her. Then Theon starts to stutter that he can't do that because of "you know". Then Ramsey says he should just use his tongue.

I think it's obvious in the books that he lost his dick.
                            And in the show it's also kept a bit in the dark. We do not see the cutting happening. It's only been hinted about.

I thought it was done in line with the sue.

My wife doesn't like all the theon torturing. I think it's a bit over the top.

Spoiler:
                            I would have loved it if they would kept more focus on the inner struggle of the torturing.
                            Ramsey flying a finger, and then leaving Theon a couple of days alone, while his finger starts to swear and the pain is taking over.
                            until Theon started to beg ramsey to remove the finger.

It could even include theon talking to himself in the darkness about losing his finger or not.
                            A bit more gollem-like.

That would have been a stronger picture, I think.
                            Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                            Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

• Originally posted by Bugs ****ing Bunny View Post
                              Currently trying to avoid getting too anal over the query "How the blue blazes is Princess Perkytits managing to keep an army of 6000+ supplied, in a desert?".
                              She can't.
                              Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

I fail to see your point. They were letting him go in any respect.

Spoiler:
                                Also, don't get me wrong, I'm not unsympathetic to Theon's perspective of being a hostage. But, he still betrayed his foster brother's trust, backed the wrong horse, and did not push hard enough for his plan which was both extremely logical and ethical. He then murdered a couple orphans. In the world of Westeros, it is not hard to argue that he deserved punishment for his transgressions; I also should state that his storyline in book 5 is my absolute favorite, and I am rooting very hard for his continued redemption.
                                Spoiler:
                                Also in the books it seems that the kids he killed to make it look like he'd killed Bran and Rickon and were his own sons. Things don't end well for kinslayers in Westeros...
                                Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Working...
                                X