Why I Have To Leave The South

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why I Have To Leave The South

Well it is time for the follow-up for my thread of some 7 years ago where, being sick of being considerably underemployed and underpaid, I decided to pack up and head down South for a better life. And I succeeded. Funny how things at some point go full circle.

The first 4 years with my employer at the time were slow. A steady income but nothing that great. But as you know, about 2.5 years in, I was seconded onto the SAP ERP implementation. After that I had a change of job, things snowballed from there and hence I am where I am now...a freelance consultant with a serious amount of good experience (look at my other redundancy thread). It has put me in an amazing position. But at the same time, cuts any actual tie to an area other than having good transport connections. Which leaves me free to go where I please.

Now there are push factors and pull factors.

London is a great place, I don't think there is anywhere quite like it on the planet. But for me it is a monumental pain in the arse as well. Too damn expensive for a start and I find it too pretentious (you can take the man out of Hull but you cannot take Hull out of the man ) and I can't afford to live in anywhere but the sticks without really stretching myself financially. And trying to get around the place just drives me mental. And I find a lot of the people very "difficult", I'll be honest. Not very friendly, completely self absorbed. The other night I fell over quite hard on the tube...no harm done to me. Not one person asked if I was OK, not one. Even though I had a laugh about it with a friend who was sat next to me, again, no one even seemed to crack a smile. And I think the people around you comprise a massive part of the environment. And hence London probably pisses me off more than I like it. There are positives - you can be who you want to be, no one bothers you and it is pretty safe (area depending of course) and it is a beautiful place.

And the pull factors. Distance from my family. I have a very busy life and getting too and from Hull from London is a pain in the backside...I live closer to Paris than Hull (I know which I would rather visit in an ideal world, but that's not the point). And my parents aren't getting any younger and my mother has been diagnosed as terminally ill at the end of last year (long prognosis and a relatively unagonising disease, but still, devastating) and it would be great to see much more of them, as well as my sister and nephew. And the cost of living, much cheaper relatively. I could afford to buy half of Hull from what I can tell, but still, I could not stomach returning to that damn city.

So I have gone back to my plan from about 10 years ago to move to Manchester. I've always been a big fan of this place but it was always more pragmatic for me to move to London...and it has been a decision that has served me very well. I much prefer the vibe and environment of the place and the people and always have a good night out, far better than in London.

So the decision has been made. Actually I am in a very advanced stage of this decision as I will be moving (if my offer on a place is accepted for rent or negotiated to my success) in about 10 days time. It's quite funny, I will actually be paying more in rent than I am paying in London (although I have been quite lucky with this as my rent has hardly gone up for 6 years - I should be paying far more) but I do get a far nicer place, a much bigger flat a few minutes walk from the city centre and the main train station.

Great thing is that it is only 2 hours on the train between Manchester and London so it does make popping down for the weekend or for the day to visit friends very easy, and I think I would rather enjoy London this way at arms length rather than be pissed off with living in the place.

So wish me luck
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Good luck
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Thanks...it's not so much luck I need, just to be split into 2 to be able to get everything done that I need
      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

You wasted your wish on luck then.
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Manchester! Famous for Iaiaanana Lindley, no? And Stewart S. Spink?

And Manchester Orchestra!

Good luck indeed!
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison View Post
            Thanks...it's not so much luck I need, just to be split into 2 to be able to get everything done that I need
            Well, tough. I'm going to wish you good luck anyway

Comment

Awww thanks guys
              Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Move to South Carolina. Boeing is opening their 787 Plant there.
                Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Yeah...erm...that's nice.
                  Speaking of Erith:

Comment

I thought you needed a job? This way you don't have to leave the South.
                    Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

He has a job. That's why he's been spending up. Buying laptops and stuff, all the nouveau rich do it.

Comment

Sounds to me like you'll have the best of all things. Good for you.
                        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Good luck. And really sorry to hear about your mum.
                          Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                          Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                          We've got both kinds

Comment

Hull

London

Manchester
                            definitely best of the three
                            at least how they compare to me...

or in other words

Hull

London

Manchester

in any case - good luck
                            Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                            GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

A Yorkshireman in Manchester? Good luck with that.

Seriously though, all the best, PH.

Comment

Working...
                              X