Google's ultra fast broadband network to start in Kansas City

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MRT144 View Post
    So the only qualification for not being the boondocks is being more dense than Philly...

Why do you use such **** games to make a point Al?
    No. Being 90% as dense as Philly doesn't make a difference. Having 1/10th of the density (as KC, Kansas has) though tells me a whole lot.

Philly (or Chicago for that matter) has TEN TIMES the density of KC. KC is practically rural in comparison.

Let that sink in. In Philly, for a set amount of land, there are 100 people. In KC, in that same amount of land, there are 10. Holy ****.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• Most people do not consider a high population density a good thing, you may want to recondsider.
      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

• This is going to be end up attracting a lot of internet businesses (or at least their servers) to KCK. It's a distinct advantage in that field to have such fast internet access.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
          Most people do not consider a high population density a good thing, you may want to recondsider.
          Yeah but density is the distinction between urban and rural which is MY ENTIRE POINT. This isn't about what's better. This is about what IS! Now I realize according to the Census Bureau definitions, KC, Kansas JUST BARELY qualifies as an urban area, but well let's take a look from wikipedia:

areas designated as rural can have population densities as high as 999 per square mile or as low as 1 person per square mile.[2]
          KC, Kansas has a population density of 1,140.7/square mile.

Whoopty doo... It's BARELY above the rural designation of the Census.

Ergo it's the boondocks. Okay, TECHNICALLY, it may be an urban area but it's barely that and is nothing compared to real US cities.
          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• Al, there is no point for city like KCK to build high density because the land just outside the city/suburbs is so cheap and so close. It literally makes more economic sense to spread out rather than build up. San Francisco, NYC, heck lots of places lack land to spread out more so building up makes economic sense but it's very capital intensive and it's hard to justify placing that much into a high rise unless it's practically a sure thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
              Al, there is no point for city like KCK to build high density because the land just outside the city/suburbs is so cheap and so close. It literally makes more economic sense to spread out rather than build up. San Francisco, NYC, heck lots of places lack land to spread out more so building up makes economic sense but it's very capital intensive and it's hard to justify placing that much into a high rise unless it's practically a sure thing.
              This is not a question of why any more than it is a question of what's better, as I pointed out to Mad Monk. It's a matter of what is. KC, Kansas is the boondocks.

Comment

• As for the boondocks/hillbilly connection... I would've thought it would have been obvious.

Hey look, if you look up boondocks on wikipedia:

Guess what is down there at the See Also section?
                See also

Yokel
                Hillbilly
                I win

Comment

• You're on crack, Al.

Comment

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                    It's amusing to see Ming freak out when his overreaction is exposed.

"Honkey? How quaint, good sir! Pardon while I return to the golf course and check my 401K on my blackberry."
                    He is right. IMHO

Comment

Rank City State Population
                      (2010) Density
                      (per square mile)
                      1 New York New York 8,175,133 26,821.3
                      2 Los Angeles California 3,792,621 8,092.3
                      3 Chicago Illinois 2,695,598 11,841.8
                      4 Houston Texas 2,099,451 3,501.5
                      5 Philadelphia Pennsylvania 1,526,006 11,379.5
                      Then wtf is evryone knocking Texas?

Comment

As for the boondocks/hillbilly connection... I would've thought it would have been obvious.

Hey look, if you look up boondocks on wikipedia:

Guess what is down there at the See Also section?

I win
                        See what is at the top of the article?

The term boondocks refers to a remote, usually brushy rural area;[1] or to a remote city or town that is considered unsophisticated.[2]
                        You lose.
                        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

This is not a question of why any more than it is a question of what's better, as I pointed out to Mad Monk. It's a matter of what is. KC, Kansas is the boondocks.
                          Ever been there?

Comment

• It is also used as a derogatory term referring to the stereotype of unsophisticated country people
                            'Someone who comes from the mountains/province', used as an adjective to mean ignorant, uncultured, illiterate, or "innocent"
                            Hillbilly is a term referring to certain people who dwell in rural, mountainous areas of the United States, primarily Appalachia but also the Ozarks. Owing to its strongly stereotypical connotations, the term is frequently considered derogatory, and so is usually offensive to those Americans of Appalachian heritage. However, some have re-appropriated the term to celebrate the mountain culture.
                            The term hillbilly is commonly used in non-Appalachian areas as a reference in describing socially backward people that fit certain "hillbilly" characteristics. In this context, it is often (though not always) derogatory. Although the described person may not reside in a region that has hills of any kind, it is substituted in place of more disparaging terms like white trash. In urban usage, it is sometimes used interchangeably for terms like hick.
                            Yes i find it offensive.

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                              I never claimed to be an expert in nuclear power, you utter ****ing hillbilly imbecile.

However, I know enough to tell you that the claim that "no amount of radiation is safe" is idiotic.

KrazyHorse ( who is my b*tch BTW ) like to use this slur.

Comment

Yeah but density is the distinction between urban and rural which is MY ENTIRE POINT. This isn't about what's better. This is about what IS! Now I realize according to the Census Bureau definitions, KC, Kansas JUST BARELY qualifies as an urban area, but well let's take a look from wikipedia:

KC, Kansas has a population density of 1,140.7/square mile.

Whoopty doo... It's BARELY above the rural designation of the Census.

Ergo it's the boondocks. Okay, TECHNICALLY, it may be an urban area but it's barely that and is nothing compared to real US cities.
                                So you're cherry picking things you agree with.
                                "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                                'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Working...
                                X