No announcement yet.

Google's ultra fast broadband network to start in Kansas City

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It boggles my mind that Al can seriously put forth the idea that because he doesn't find something to be a slur, it's okay to use it derisively against a group of people.
    "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144 View Post
      It boggles my mind that Al can seriously put forth the idea that because he doesn't find something to be a slur, it's okay to use it derisively against a group of people.
      Yep... a total asshat. And what's even worse, he actually believes it's ok and is still trying to justify it.
      Keep on Civin'
      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Whatever MikeH and Lonestar proved my point. It's not a racial slur.
        "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

I'm more amused than anything.

Kansas City, one of the cradles of modern jazz, is hillbilly country.

Yeah, we had a lot of hillbillies wandering around 18th and Vine.
          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

See... he just won't quit. He keeps trying to justify his degrading slur.

Again asshat, what was your intent with that ignorant original post?

If you actually would answer that question honestly, you will realize what a jerk you were instead of trying to justify it.
            Keep on Civin'

Comment

Originally posted by Ming View Post
              See... he just won't quit. He keeps trying to justify his degrading slur.

Again asshat, what was your intent with that ignorant original post?

If you actually would answer that question honestly, you will realize what a jerk you were instead of trying to justify it.
              Huh? My intent was to point out my confusion as to why they would do this in an underdeveloped middle of nowhere place.
              "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

2 million people in the metropolitan area... underdeveloped middle of nowhere... HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA
                Keep showing how ignorant you are.

Plus... that only explains Boondocks... not hillbilly land. Boondocks isn't a slur... hillbilly is.
                Keep on Civin'

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                  Whatever MikeH and Lonestar proved my point. It's not a racial slur.
                  Why did you use it as a slur?
                  'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by Ming View Post
                    2 million people in the metropolitan area... underdeveloped middle of nowhere... HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA
                    Keep showing how ignorant you are.

Plus... that only explains Boondocks... not hillbilly land. Boondocks isn't a slur... hillbilly is.
                    Let's see...

Kansas City, Kansas pop. density:
                    1,140.7/sq mi (440.4/km2)

Philadelphia pop. density:
                    11,457/sq mi (4,405.4/km2)

10x more dense!

KCK is the god damned boondocks. Where I come from (and where you come from, Chicago boy [11,864.4/sq mi (4,447.4/km2)]), there are 10x as many people per mile than in Kansas City.

Comment

• HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA

What an ignorant moron... still trying to justify his slur, and now looking like even more of a moron by a calling a metropolitan area with two million people the boondocks. And just using the pop of Kansas City, KA for your example is stupid, since it's a part of the total Kansas City metropolitan area. And using density as a support point is even more stupid. It just means they have more land to live in and don't have to be crammed like rats into a smaller area.

Using your ignorant logic philly boy... where I come from, Philly is the god damned boondocks... and people from New York, LA, and Dallas would all agree that Philly is the boondocks based on your silly ass logic.
                      Keep on Civin'

Comment

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                        Huh? My intent was to point out my confusion as to why they would do this in an underdeveloped middle of nowhere place.
                        You don't read much, do you?

Kansas City in the 1930s was very much the crossroads of the United States resulting in a mix of cultures. Transcontinental trips at the time whether by plane or train often required a stop in the city. The era marked the zenith of power of political boss Tom Pendergast. Kansas City was a wide open town with liquor laws and hours totally ignored and was called the new Storyville. Most of the jazz musicians associated with the style were born in other places but got caught up in the friendly musical competitions among performers that could keep a single song being performed in variations for an entire night.
                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansas_City_jazz

Kansas City has 132 miles (212 km) of spacious boulevards and parkways, 214 urban parks, 49 ornamental fountains, 152 ball diamonds, 10 community centers, 105 tennis courts, five golf courses, five museums and attractions, 30 pools, and 47 park shelters, all overseen by the city's Parks and Recreation department.[23][24]

The parks and boulevard system winds its way through the city. Much of the system, designed by George E. Kessler, was constructed from 1893 to 1915. Cliff Drive, in Kessler Park on the North Bluffs, is a designated State Scenic Byway. It extends 4.27 miles (6.87 km) from The Paseo and Independence Avenue through Indian Mound on Gladstone Boulevard at Belmont Boulevard with many historical points and architectural landmarks. Ward Parkway, on the west side of the city near State Line Road, is lined by many of the city's most handsome homes. The Paseo is a major north–south parkway that runs 19 miles (31 km) through the center of the city beginning at Cliff Drive. It was modeled on the Paseo de la Reforma, a fashionable Mexico City boulevard.

Swope Park is one of the nation's largest city parks, comprising 1,805 acres (2.82 sq. mi.), more than twice as big as New York's Central Park.[25] It features a full-fledged zoo, a woodland nature and wildlife rescue center, two golf courses, two lakes, an amphitheatre, day-camp area, and numerous picnic grounds. Hodge Park, in the Northland, covers 1,029 acres (1.61 sq. mi.). This park includes the 80-acre (320,000 m2) Shoal Creek Living History Museum, a village of more than 20 historical buildings dating from 1807 to 1885. Riverfront Park, 955 acres (3.86 km2) on the banks of the Missouri River on the north edge of downtown, holds annual Fourth of July celebrations and other festivals during the year.

At one time, nearly all residential streets were planted with a solid canopy of American elms, but Dutch elm disease devastated them.[citation needed] Most were replaced with varieties of other handsome shade trees. A program went underway to replace many of the fast-growing sweetgum trees with hardwood varieties.
                        Greater Kansas City is headquarters to several Fortune 500 companies (Sprint Nextel Corporation, H&R Block, YRC Worldwide Inc., and International Assets Holding Corporation) and additional Fortune 1000 corporations Great Plains Energy, Aquila, AMC Theatres, Applebee's, DST Systems, Garmin International, Cerner, Seaboard Corporation, and Russell Stover Candies). Three international law firms, Lathrop & Gage, Stinson Morrisson & Hecker, and Shook, Hardy & Bacon are also based in the City. Hallmark Cards's gross revenues certainly would qualify it for both lists, but it cannot be included because it is privately owned by the Hall family. Numerous agriculture companies operate out of the city . Dairy Farmers of America, the largest Dairy Co-op in the United States is located here. Kansas City Board of Trade is the principal trading Exchange for hard red winter wheat — the principal ingredient of bread. Black and Veatch, Perceptive Software, Compass Minerals, Ash Grove Cement, Ferrellgas, and Bats Exchange, Inc are also based in the Kansas City area.

Kansas City, Missouri is also the headquarters of:

360 Architecture
                        American Century Investments
                        Andrews McMeel Universal
                        Assurant Employee Benefits
                        Barkley Inc.
                        Bernstein-Rein
                        BNIM
                        Boulevard Brewing Company
                        Burns and McDonnell Engineering
                        Commerce Bancshares
                        Copaken, White & Blitt
                        Crawford Architects
                        Hallmark
                        HNTB
                        HOK Sport
                        J.E. Dunn Construction Group
                        Kansas City Southern Railway
                        McCownGordon Construction
                        Novastar Financial
                        Smith Electric Vehicles
                        UMB Financial Corporation
                        Veterans of Foreign Wars
                        VML, Inc.
                        Walton Construction
                        The National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics and The National Association of Basketball Coaches are based in Kansas City.

H&R Block's new oblong headquarters in downtown Kansas CityThe business community is serviced by two major business magazines, the Kansas City Business Journal (published weekly) and Ingram's Magazine (published monthly), as well as numerous other smaller publications, including a local society journal, the Independent (published weekly). Kansas City is literally "on the money." Bills issued by the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City are marked the letter "J" and/or number "10." The single dollar bills have Kansas City's name on them. The Kansas City Federal Reserve built a new bank building that opened in 2008 and relocated near Union Station. Missouri is the only state to have two of the 12 Federal Reserve Bank headquarters (St. Louis also has a headquarters). Kansas City's effort to get the bank was helped by former Kansas City mayor James A. Reed who as senator broke a tie to get the Federal Reserve Act passed.[50]

One of the largest drug manufacturing plants in the United States is the Sanofi-Aventis plant located in south Kansas City on the campus developed by Ewing Kauffman's Marion Laboratories.[51] Of late, it has been developing some academic and economic institutions related to animal health sciences, an effort most recently bolstered by the selection of Manhattan, Kansas, at one end of the [52] Kansas City Animal Health Corridor, as the site for the National Bio and Agro-Defense Facility, which is tasked, among other things, to research animal-related diseases.

Ford Motor Company operates a large manufacturing facility just outside of Kansas City in Claycomo at the Ford Kansas City Assembly Plant, which currently builds the Ford Escape, Mazda Tribute, Ford F-150, and Mercury Mariner. The General Motors Fairfax Assembly Plant s located in adjacent Kansas City, Kansas. Smith Electric Vehicles builds electric vehicles in the former TWA/American Airlines overhaul facility at Kansas City International Airport.

The Kansas City Plant dedicated by Harry Truman and currently operated by Honeywell produces and assembles 85 percent of the non-nuclear components of the United States nuclear bomb arsenal.[53]

The national headquarters for the Veterans of Foreign Wars is headquartered just south of Downtown Kansas City.

With a Gross Metropolitan Product of $41.68 billion in 2004, Kansas City's (Missouri side only) economy makes up 20.5% of the Gross State Product of Missouri.[54]
                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansas_City,_Missouri

Johnson County (county code JO) is a county located in northeast Kansas, in the central United States. The county contains the western suburbs of Kansas City, Missouri and is included in its metropolitan area. As of the 2010 census, the county population was 544,179.[1] Its county seat is Olathe,[2] and its most populous city is Overland Park. Johnson County has the highest in the state and 19th highest per-capita income in the nation (as of 2000) and the nation's 46th highest median household income.

In 2008 CNN/Money and Money magazine ranked three cities in Johnson County on its list of the "100 Best Cities to Live in the United States."[3] Overland Park was ranked ninth, Olathe was ranked 11th, and Shawnee was ranked 39th.[3] Olathe was also ranked 24th in the 2008 list of the top 25 fastest growing cities in the nation, compiled by the U.S. Census Bureau.[4]
                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnson_County,_Kansas

Undeveloped???

Here's aonther clue: it's hard to have a high population density when nobody wants or needs to be stacked vertically, prefering to live among the huge parks, sprawling plazas, and wide, tree-lined boulevards of Greater Kansas City.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ming View Post
                          HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA

What an ignorant moron... still trying to justify his slur, and now looking like even more of a moron by a calling a metropolitan area with two million people the boondocks. And just using the pop of Kansas City, KA for your example is stupid, since it's a part of the total Kansas City metropolitan area. And using density as a support point is even more stupid. It just means they have more land to live in and don't have to be crammed like rats into a smaller area.

Using your ignorant logic philly boy... where I come from, Philly is the god damned boondocks... and people from New York, LA, and Dallas would all agree that Philly is the boondocks based on your silly ass logic.
                          Actually no, I gave you Chicago's density... 11,864 sq/mile compared to Philly's 11,457 sq/mile. How the **** is Philly the boondocks in comparison?

Philly is America's 5th largest city by population after NYC, LA, Chicago, and Houston. Dallas? Dallas is smaller than Philly.

And the Philly metropolitan area is the country's 4th largest metro area and America's 4th largest media market.

Philadelphia's media ranks fourth, behind New York, Los Angeles, and Chicago, in Nielsen Media Market size rankings.

Comment

• Rank City State Population
                            (2010) Density
                            (per square mile)
                            1 New York New York 8,175,133 26,821.3
                            2 Los Angeles California 3,792,621 8,092.3
                            3 Chicago Illinois 2,695,598 11,841.8
                            4 Houston Texas 2,099,451 3,501.5
                            5 Philadelphia Pennsylvania 1,526,006 11,379.5

Comment

• Density means nothing when you are free to expand in all directions.

Comment

• So the only qualification for not being the boondocks is being more dense than Philly...

Why do you use such **** games to make a point Al?

Comment

Working...
                                X