I have survived my second annual thinning of the herd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Docfeelgood View Post
    Here in Texas ( the most non friendly workers state ) no explanation need be given. your fired! thats it.
    Your state sucks.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
      The "acknowledged" part.
      Okay so then Mr. ****-up doesn't acknowledge his write ups. What then?

Either way you slice it, it's a shady line.
      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Hmm? The 3 days off per quarter are outside of vacation. I also get 20 days (4 weeks) vacation, which will go up the more experience I get. I also get 5 "personal" days a year (which are like vacation but require no approval).

That's a total of 12 + 20 + 5 = 37 days a year.

My dad gets every other friday off and 8 weeks vacation. But he's in a position to demand that. He's also retiring in a couple months (at age 53).
        Sumptuous

Comment

Your state sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
            Not in America. There is no federal law stating that employers owe anything to laid off employees... there might be some crazy state that does mandate this but at-will states definitely do not.
            I have no idea about this, so I will take your word for it.

I assume that the people I'm talking about got what I described.
            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Killing it is the new killing it
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Anyone that doesn't like it, don't come down.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

There's nothing wrong with Texas other than the climate and the lack of culture.
                12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Killing it is the new killing it
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                  Okay so then Mr. ****-up doesn't acknowledge his write ups. What then?

Either way you slice it, it's a shady line.
                  He doesn't necessarily need to acknowledge it as long as there's evidence.

If there's no evidence of warnings, he can't be fired for cause. Period.
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

I have seen people fired just before retirement just so the company could save money. That's why so many bosses are used as target practice.

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                      I have no idea about this, so I will take your word for it.

I assume that the people I'm talking about got what I described.
                      The reason there's no federal law is the same reason there's no federal minimum wage. I'm pretty sure employment laws vary by state.

Comment

• Asher, what about seasonal lay-offs?
                        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                          Yeah no explanation need be given.

Granted, if no explanation is given, you may be eligible for unemployment compensation.
                          Very hard to prove.

Comment

• Originally posted by Docfeelgood View Post
                            I have seen people fired just before retirement just so the company could save money. That's why so many bosses are used as target practice.
                            This is why the good companies just give you x% of your salary every year in a defined contribution pension plan.

Comment

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                              Asher, what about seasonal lay-offs?
                              That's what employment contracts are for. If the work is expected to be temporary or seasonal, it's identified as such and agreed upon.

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher View Post
                                That's what employment contracts are for. If the work is expected to be temporary or seasonal, it's identified as such and agreed upon.
                                So Canadian law doesn't mandate severance pay during a seasonal lay-off or lay-off with expectation of re-hire?

Comment

Working...
                                X