Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meat glue? Really? They have glue for meat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meat glue? Really? They have glue for meat?

I recently ran across this video from Australia about ways companies try to pass off scraps of substandard meat as top price meat and it's worth the five minutes to watch it. The EU has already banned this practice but as usual the US isn't regulating anything even though it's only fair to require companies to label their products so consumers know what it is they're buying.

Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Mislabeling products
    John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Thanks for the info. this answers some questions.

Comment

hello there handsome, would you like to taste some of my genuine meat?

Comment

Genuine meat glue gun?
          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

It's a bit scary that the butcher couldn't even tell the difference in the finished product. I'm a bit concerned that meat companies will sell substandard stuff pretending it is premium meat and then people will cook it rare, as is best to cook premium meat, but the low quality scraps have a lot more bacteria in them so the chances of getting food poisoning is much higher. The simple truth is bacteria mostly settle on the outside parts of meat and since this was a bunch of little bits glued together it used to have a huge surface area compared to the finished product so if people don't know they have the cheap glued stuff they might cook it like they'd cook the premium stuff and get food poisoning as a result. There certainly needs to be labels even if the meat companies would prefer customers not know they're getting low quality but being charged top prices.

Comment

Whats the problem, if they taste the same?
              "

Comment

LMAO, REALLY, YOU CANT TELL?!
                "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

They are saving meat which probably lowers meat prices, and since the end product is the same(taste, presentation), why not?
                  "

Comment

this meat can only be eaten when cooked through-and-through rather than rare, it has a much higher bacteria content, and you get blood products from other animals in your meat.

you're being misled, and the end result is a health hazard for various reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by EPW View Post
                      Whats the problem, if they taste the same?
                      As I stated there are two problems. 1) the deception of consumers when companies try to pass of substandard meat as premium steak thus cheating customers. 2) A premium steak you can cook rare as it's internals are likely to be bacteria free as it has never been exposed to air but the cheap glued meats have up to 100 times more bacteria on the inside because they literally used to be on the outside. People should be warned to completely cook the low quality glued meat simply because of the increased risk of food poisoning. Proper labeling would solve both of those problems but the meat industry doesn't want to label it because they like the increased profits which come from selling substandard stuff for the price of premium steak to customers which don't know any better.

Comment

Originally posted by Zoetstofzoetje View Post
                        this meat can only be eaten when cooked through-and-through rather than rare, it has a much higher bacteria content, and you get blood products from other animals in your meat.

you're being misled, and the end result is a health hazard for various reasons.
                        Good point about the blood products used in the glue because several religions forbid consuming blood products and much of the meat glue comes from pork blood so if you're Jewish or Muslim then you might get upset if a company lies to you and sells you a supposed beef steak which contains pork products in it.

Comment

Or Hindu and the chicken was glued together with beef byproducts.
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=)
                          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
                            It's a bit scary that the butcher couldn't even tell the difference in the finished product.

The beef that should be marbled was easy to spot when raw.
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)
                            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

I don't buy the bacteria argument. Show me a study that says its more dangerous. And I don't see how its misleading if the end result is the same...
                              "

Comment

Working...
                              X