Lessons from the Bible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lessons from the Bible

[15] And the people had compassion on Benjamin because the LORD had made a breach in the tribes of Israel.
    [16]Then the elders of the congregation said, "What shall we do for wives for those who are left, since the women are destroyed out of Benjamin?"
    [17] And they said, "There must be an inheritance for the survivors of Benjamin, that a tribe be not blotted out from Israel.
    [18] Yet we cannot give them wives of our daughters." For the people of Israel had sworn, "Cursed be he who gives a wife to Benjamin."
    [19] So they said, "Behold, there is the yearly feast of the LORD at Shiloh, which is north of Bethel, on the east of the highway that goes up from Bethel to Shechem, and south of Lebo'nah."
    [20] And they commanded the Benjaminites, saying, "Go and lie in wait in the vineyards,
    [21] and watch; if the daughters of Shiloh come out to dance in the dances, then come out of the vineyards and seize each man his wife from the daughters of Shiloh, and go to the land of Benjamin.

[22] And when their fathers or their brothers come to complain to us, we will say to them, `Grant them graciously to us; because we did not take for each man of them his wife in battle, neither did you give them to them, else you would now be guilty.'"
    [23] And the Benjaminites did so, and took their wives, according to their number, from the dancers whom they carried off; then they went and returned to their inheritance, and rebuilt the towns, and dwelt in them.
    [24] And the people of Israel departed from there at that time, every man to his tribe and family, and they went out from there every man to his inheritance.
    [25]In those days there was no king in Israel; every man did what was right in his own eyes.

Judges 21:15-25

Need a wife? Abduct a virgin!
    However, be prepared because you'll have to pay her father fifty shekels of silver as compensation (Deuteronomy 22:28-29). If a shekel is ~11 grams then I think that comes out to ~$600, so have the cash on hand.

Honestly, the Bible is full of immoral activity by inbred primitives.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

with clubs?

Comment

I agree with Lewis Black, for questions about the Old Testament, ask a Jew. It's their stuff.
        We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
        If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
        Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
          Honestly, the Bible is full of immoral activity by inbred primitives.
          It sounds like a lot more fun and sense then the inbred cultured nowadays preach.
          "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
          "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

Your answer is in the final verse:

[25]In those days there was no king in Israel; every man did what was right in his own eyes.
            Ponder it for a while and the answer may leap out at you.
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Just what I was going to point out Imran

JM
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Why are you such an antisemite? Why do you make fun of the mithology of Jews?

This isn't that different from the Roman rapt of the Sabynes btw
                I need a foot massage

Comment

then why is this author telling men what to do - like a king?

There's another passage somewhere libertarians point at where the people are calling upon God for a king, and God tells them about the negatives of having a king. God must be schizo, warning against having a king one day, appointing kings the next... Or elohim is to be taken literally, multiple gods who dont always agree.

Comment

Man this is what you come up with to troll the Christians?

Holy ****. I prefer to use the incident after the Golden Calf... Just read word-for-word straight from the King James... I have yet to hear a Christian agree with God's orders there. Yet it never does shake their faith
                    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Beserker, please use some critical thought.

The point was that Israel had no king. What was suppose to be the case, is that God was their king. Because there were so many negatives to having a king, as God pointed out. But it wasn't the case that God was their king here. Which might be the reason why God relented.

When God finally relented, Israel got a king.

There is a lot to be learned from Israel. A lot to be learned about the relationship between God and man.

Most people, Christians and skeptics, seem to consider it with no critical thought.

JM
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN
                      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

if you say so, but why wasn't god their king if that was supposed to be the case?

Comment

Because they didn't follow God.

Reread judges, if it has been a while.

JM
                          Jon Miller-
                          I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

So no Golden Calf issues?

I mean God hasn't even given the 10 Commandments to Moses yet so the Hebrews are not even familiar yet with the prohibition against false idols and what not... yet God specifically orders those who are true to kill every man, woman, and child... and those righteous few are then cursed to wander the desert for 40 years because of it.

Huh, God?

I have yet to meet a Christian who 1) was familiar with God's orders and 2) agreed with them. Yet why this revelation doesn't demolish their faith, I have no idea.
                            "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                            "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                              Your answer is in the final verse:

Ponder it for a while and the answer may leap out at you.
                              How does it feel to get PWNed, gribbler?
                              A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Working...
                              X