No announcement yet.

Your stance on nuclear power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's practically the definition of optimist, isn't it?
    John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Maybe, but how exactly can "hope for the best" be the basis of serious calculations. With the numbers in that article ranging between ca 70 to 47,000 yrs or even "inexhaustible" I get the impression that noone really knows
      Blah

Comment

The problem is that the 70 year estimates are based on current prices. We know there's a lot of uranium out there, but we don't know how easy it would be to recover it, nor do we know if some new mining technology will allow us to recover it at a lower cost in the future.

Predicting the future is hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Felch View Post
          Germanos, the OECD pessimists recognize that technological advances could stretch our supplies for centuries, and the EU and Australians are assuming that we aren't going to discover any new sources of uranium ore.
          When was the last new discovery?
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Felch View Post
            Germanos, the OECD pessimists recognize that technological advances could stretch our supplies for centuries, and the EU and Australians are assuming that we aren't going to discover any new sources of uranium ore.
            Keep in mind that the estimates are based on current consumption as well.
            I'm not saying I hold the truth, but these figures are at least as plausible as the optimistic side.

As far as breeders go: it's largely uncharted uncharted territory (certainly for me ) and I doubt that any of the posters here know anything about it. But I do know that in the 80's a German/Dutch/Belgian breeder was cancelled during construction (it's now BeBro's favorite hangout: Kernwasser Wunderland (sorry, linky in Dutch or German). After OneFootintheMouth's post I did look briefly at breeders to find out few were build and even less are producing electricity for the net. I see yet no reason to be an advocate against nuclear power based on 1) the risks (including waste) and 2) the probably non-solution it provides for our energy needs in the long term.

Kernwasser Wunderland: Huge merry go round (or whatshallyacallit)in the former Cooling Tower.
            Last edited by germanos; March 18, 2011, 13:25.
            "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
            "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
              When was the last new discovery?
              Quick Google search gave me this. The article dates back about a week.

This article deals with exploration of uranium in India. After giving a brief description of the mineral uranium and its properties, the article gives the details of the discovery of this scarece mineral in the two villages, viz. Peddur and Kottur by the ...

People discover new mineral sources all the time. Obviously it's price sensitive. If prices go down, there's less incentive to look for new sources.

Comment

One aspect of solar (at least panels or films, not so much dishes) that makes the land use comparison less important is that solar installations can be done just about anywhere with minimal impact. People may not really like the look (I think they look pretty spiffy) on roof tops, but it is actually an option. I doubt anyone is going to want to install a coal powered plant on their roof.

Comment

I saw a documentary on nuke plant waste and that seems to be the problem with nuke power plants. The waste will be toxic for over 100,000 years. We bury it and future generations find it. They think they have found treasure but find toxic death instead. We have to make sure that they never find it.

Comment

Why not just plow it into the fields of our vanquished foes?

Comment

• Can't because plutonium-239 has a half-life of 25,000 years and Uranium-235 has a half-life of 700 million years.

Comment

• Just bury it in a really deep mineshaft with a sign on the entrance reading "Heap big curse of AshtonKutcher on all who enter".

Either it keeps 'em safe, or it starts a kick-arse new religion..
                        The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

• Originally posted by Bugs ****ing Bunny View Post
                          Just bury it in a really deep mineshaft with a sign on the entrance reading "Heap big curse of AshtonKutcher on all who enter".

Either it keeps 'em safe, or it starts a kick-arse new religion..
                          Turns out it's not that simple to simply store the waste because you need to be absolutely sure no geological activity will occur. For instance, I know of old mineshaft in Belgium that were submerged a while ago that caused problems later on (flooding, leakages etc).
                          "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                          "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

• Originally posted by Docfeelgood View Post
                            Two words.
                            Nuclear Waste.
                            Four words.

RESCIND THE CARTER BAN.
                            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

• Reagan lifted the ban in 1981.

Comment

• Originally posted by Felch View Post
                                Reagan lifted the ban in 1981.
                                So this is where those dumbasses came up with depleted uranium rounds.

Comment

Working...
                                X