Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fox News North can't launch because regulation against lying in the news won't be repealed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Wezil View Post
    Was someone mean to you? Do you have hurt feelings? The tribunals can help.

A Toronto comic and Vancouver restaurant owner have been ordered to pay $22,000 for unleashing a tirade of insults against a lesbian couple.

Lorna Pardy filed a complaint in 2008 alleging she and her lesbian partner were the targets the offensive comments made by Guy Earle, who was hosting the open mic night at Zesty's Restaurant on Commercial Drive in May 2007.

Earle did not deny he was offensive, but claimed Pardy and her same-sex partner first rudely heckled him, along with the amateur comics onstage that night. Earle also claimed that Pardy threw two drinks in his face, and admits he broke Pardy's sunglasses in a confrontation after the show.

Earle's lawyer later walked out of the Human Right Tribunal hearing claiming it was an illegal restriction of freedom of speech.

But on Thursday the B.C. Human Right Tribunal sided with Pardy and ruled Earle must pay her $15,000 and the owner of the restaurant must also pay her $7,500.

A Toronto comic and a Vancouver restaurant owner have been ordered to pay a lesbian patron $22,500 in compensation over a tirade of insults, after the B.C. Human Rights Tribunal dismissed the comic's claim that his words were an appropriate response to a heckler.

Classic case of the truth not being a defence. He called them "fat lesbians". They are.
    What, do people think 'lesbian' is some kind of slur?

Comment

• Actually, their newscast is not bad. I think that is what 'the Daily Brief' is supposed to be.

Tonight CBC and CTV were doing the royal wedding and Sun covered the wiki document dump from the US embassy at length.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Not gonna read the whole thing, but did anyone get around to telling HC that lying would be okay if they 1st mentioned they were lying, and everybody could be happy?
        I'm consitently stupid- Japher
        I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

• I don't think that would satisfy him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Theben View Post
            Not gonna read the whole thing, but did anyone get around to telling HC that lying would be okay if they 1st mentioned they were lying, and everybody could be happy?
            Fox News = Double Plus Good.

C'mon people! An untruth is not a lie. Of course it does depend on what the definition of "is" is...as we all know.

It is Ungood that FoxNews is not allowed in, as the article says, "Liberal" democracy.

Of course we know that "liberal" democracy is really undemocracy and therefore double plus ungood!
            "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

• thanks for double plus good and ungoodness sharing
              Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
              GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

• Will the recent elections in the great white north have any impact on Fox in Canada?
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Yes, make it less popular. It's so ****ing boring and amateurish as it is, and now there's no political drama for 4-5 years.
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                  Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Originally posted by PLATO View Post
                    Fox News = Double Plus Good.

C'mon people! An untruth is not a lie. Of course it does depend on what the definition of "is" is...as we all know.

It is Ungood that FoxNews is not allowed in, as the article says, "Liberal" democracy.

Of course we know that "liberal" democracy is really undemocracy and therefore double plus ungood!
                    This post is somewhere in between being ungood and unbad.
                    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Working...
                    X