Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fox News North can't launch because regulation against lying in the news won't be repealed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fox News North can't launch because regulation against lying in the news won't be repealed

Classic.

Canada's Radio Act requires that "a licenser may not broadcast....any false or misleading news." The provision has kept Fox News and right wing talk radio out of Canada.

Regulators Reject Proposal That Would Bring Fox-Style News to Canada

As America's middle class battles for its survival on the Wisconsin barricades -- against various Koch Oil surrogates and the corporate toadies at Fox News -- fans of enlightenment, democracy and justice can take comfort from a significant victory north of Wisconsin border. Fox News will not be moving into Canada after all! The reason: Canada regulators announced last week they would reject efforts by Canada's right wing Prime Minister, Stephen Harper, to repeal a law that forbids lying on broadcast news.

Canada's Radio Act requires that "a licenser may not broadcast....any false or misleading news." The provision has kept Fox News and right wing talk radio out of Canada and helped make Canada a model for liberal democracy and freedom. As a result of that law, Canadians enjoy high quality news coverage including the kind of foreign affairs and investigative journalism that flourished in this country before Ronald Reagan abolished the "Fairness Doctrine" in 1987. Political dialogue in Canada is marked by civility, modesty, honesty, collegiality, and idealism that have pretty much disappeared on the U.S. airwaves. When Stephen Harper moved to abolish anti-lying provision of the Radio Act, Canadians rose up to oppose him fearing that their tradition of honest non partisan news would be replaced by the toxic, overtly partisan, biased and dishonest news coverage familiar to American citizens who listen to Fox News and talk radio. Harper's proposal was timed to facilitate the launch of a new right wing network, "Sun TV News" which Canadians call "Fox News North."

Harper, often referred to as "George W. Bush's Mini Me," is known for having mounted a Bush like war on government scientists, data collectors, transparency, and enlightenment in general. He is a wizard of all the familiar tools of demagoguery; false patriotism, bigotry, fear, selfishness and belligerent religiosity.

Harper's attempts to make lying legal on Canadian television is a stark admission that right wing political ideology can only dominate national debate through dishonest propaganda. Since corporate profit-taking is not an attractive vessel for populism, a political party or broadcast network that makes itself the tool of corporate and financial elites must lie to make its agenda popular with the public. In the Unites States, Fox News and talk radio, the sock puppets of billionaires and corporate robber barons have become the masters of propaganda and distortion on the public airwaves. Fox News's notoriously biased and dishonest coverage of the Wisconsin's protests is a prime example of the brand of news coverage Canada has smartly avoided.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

That article is classic as well
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

"The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Censorship

This only emphasizes how full of **** you are when you talk about your blessed Canada being freer than America.
        If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
        ){ :|:& };:

Comment

I guess the church-taxing troll just wasn't getting enough bites?
          1011 1100
          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Canada's Radio Act requires that "a licenser may not broadcast....any false or misleading news."
            Fox News would never do that!

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
              Censorship

This only emphasizes how full of **** you are when you talk about your blessed Canada being freer than America.
              Lies are not freedom.

The US is being destroyed by lies, and you think it's fantastic.

Canada is freer because we actually know the truth. The US is becoming an insidious web of lies.

Comment

Just curious, HC, do you truly believe broadcasters who lie are contributing to America? Or perhaps they are damaging it?

Comment

He just thinks it's a natural right to lie to and mislead millions of people.

Comment

The only way we can know the truth is to lie and mislead.

Remember: NET NEUTRALITY GOES AGAINST OUR BASIC RIGHTS.

Do NOT ask questions.

Comment

Censoring web sites is freedom. Honesty is censorship.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                        Lies are not freedom.
                        Unless you happen to be the one telling the lies.

I demand the freedom to mislead others.

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                          Censoring web sites is freedom. Honesty is censorship.
                          It's hilarious how HC's been brainwashed.

"Freedom" to him seems to mean the freedom to **** over others. Freedom to censor the web arbitrarily, freedom to lie and mislead people en masse while masquerading as "fair and balanced" news...

The other part of freedom is the freedom from the tyranny of liars and manipulators, which is what Fox News is. It's freedom to have free-flowing information on the internet. These are freedoms we should embrace.

Comment

Why can't I find this story (death of Sun TV) on any Canadian news sites?

Is the Huffington Post telling lies?
                            "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                            "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Just follow the links on the Huff.
                              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Working...
                              X