Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should the US just man up and add a national sales tax like virtually ever other modern country?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should the US just man up and add a national sales tax like virtually ever other modern country?

A 5% national sales tax would get rid of about half of the deficit alone. Trim the other obvious excesses, and viola.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Add a GST? No.

Replace the income tax with a GST? Yes.

and viola.

You're such an Albertan...

Comment

We'll probably just put a vat equalization tariff in place at which point everyone else will drop it.

Comment

Why only 5 ? On food, yes, but the rest could without problem have a 25 %
        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Oh, and a 180 % tax on cars - naturally with the 25 added afterwards
          With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

An olde tyme contribution to this threade.

Comment

But how we gonna tax all those expats making big bucks overseas?
              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

and viola.

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

We're already at 8% sales tax going to the City of Philadelphia here, not to mention another 4% city income tax.

Another 5% on sales would be a bit much, don't you think?

13% sales tax... I don't know. That's high.
                  "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                  "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post

Nope, that's low.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                      We're already at 8% sales tax going to the City of Philadelphia here, not to mention another 4% city income tax.

Another 5% on sales would be a bit much, don't you think?

Ontario and BC have higher.

Alberta has no provincial sales tax. Just 5% national.

Comment

23% national consumption tax

Comment

Considering the median household income in Philadelphia is $30,746 and the official unemployment rate is 10.7%, I think it would be callous to institute a 13% sales tax on top of the existing income and city wage taxes without a thorough economic examination of its effects.
                          "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Maybe your state shouldn't rape people with high taxes, then?

Comment

Sweden has a ~25% VAT and a ~30% income tax.

JM
                              Jon Miller-
                              I AM.CANADIAN
                              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Working...
                              X