No announcement yet.

Judgement Day: May 21st, 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know there has been a lot of hateful bigotry from the Christian side. This definitely needs to change.

Even violence, it disgusts me and is evil.

But if you don't try to understand them, why should they try to understand you?

JM
    Last edited by Jon Miller; May 23, 2011, 04:19.
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post

It's amusing. Between things like this and .22's being the weapon of choice for deer hunting, HC is full of ****. I think he just wants to seem familiar about guns because he thinks its cool. He's sort of like a teenager taking pictures on myspace holding a pistol.
      You should probably take a careful look at yourself before you start accusing people of talking about things they know nothing about, squat-****ter man. I've never claimed to be a gun expert.
      If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
      ){ :|:& };:

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
        I know there has been a lot of hateful bigotry from the Christian side. This definitely needs to change.

Even violence, it disgusts me and is evil.

But if you don't try to understand them, why should they try to understand you?

JM

Jon Miller speaks truth. The recent trends (last 20-30 years) towards acceptance of homosexuals is in large part due to the persistant efforts to educate and acclimate society to the idea that homosexual are people just like any one else.

Demonization of a group (be it homosexuals or evangelicals) is a purposeful attempt to remove the idea that a group of people are human beings and instead insert the thought that they are different=evil caricatures.
        "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

• Background checks aren't that big a deal. NICS is over the phone, and you can be out of the store in only a few minutes. MD has a waiting period for handguns and "assault" rifles, although I got an AR-15 cash and carry because HBARs are excluded from that.

Looking at VA laws, it doesn't look like they have a waiting period for handguns. It's possible that these students could buy guns and only have to go through the instant background check.
          John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

• What is the rationale for waiting periods? Give an angry person who decides to buy a gun time to cool down?

Comment

• It does seem kind of pointless.
              If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
              ){ :|:& };:

Comment

• Originally posted by Felch View Post
                Background checks aren't that big a deal. NICS is over the phone, and you can be out of the store in only a few minutes. MD has a waiting period for handguns and "assault" rifles, although I got an AR-15 cash and carry because HBARs are excluded from that.

Looking at VA laws, it doesn't look like they have a waiting period for handguns. It's possible that these students could buy guns and only have to go through the instant background check.
                Last gun that I bought was a shotgun and I had to go back 2 days later to pick it up.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• I had to wait once on a bolt-action, but it was because I had a pending court date. That just meant that they had to have an actual person okay me, instead of a computer.
                  John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe View Post
                    Jon Miller speaks truth. The recent trends (last 20-30 years) towards acceptance of homosexuals is in large part due to the persistant efforts to educate and acclimate society to the idea that homosexual are people just like any one else.

Demonization of a group (be it homosexuals or evangelicals) is a purposeful attempt to remove the idea that a group of people are human beings and instead insert the thought that they are different=evil caricatures.
                    And I assume you and Jon Miller have a similarly patient and understanding attitude with people who call Jews "Christ Killers" based on their reading of the Bible, or who use the Bible to justify racism (like the KKK)?

Again, people are willing to give a pass to anti-gay stuff where they wouldn't for any other prejudiced attitude coming from the same source. And that's because those other repugnant views have already been marginalized enough where it doesn't take much courage at all to stand up and call them what they are and have scorn for those who express it. But shrinking and hiding behind "Oh, we shouldn't demonize..." when the issue is one that is not as culturally settled is just being a coward.
                    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• How is thinking that homosexuality is caused by sin, being anti-gay people?

it is no more anti-gay people then other standard Christian thoughts are anti-human.

Why is your determination of someone being worth it or not, based on whether they are anti-gay or not?

Your thinking is too simplistic because you don't understand them or try to. Just like someone who says 'all those who believe in homeopathy are idiots'. I can disagree with homeopathy, I can wish it goes away, and I can argue it goes away. But when I call everyone who believes in it idiots... and consider them so, then I dehumanize them and act wrongly.

JM
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN
                      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• By the way, I don't consider someone being racist to mean that they are a hateful bigot either.

If someone is violent or calls for violence, that is different (like KKK).

JM
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

• Originally posted by Boris Godunov View Post
                          And I assume you and Jon Miller have a similarly patient and understanding attitude with people who call Jews "Christ Killers" based on their reading of the Bible, or who use the Bible to justify racism (like the KKK)?

Again, people are willing to give a pass to anti-gay stuff where they wouldn't for any other prejudiced attitude coming from the same source. And that's because those other repugnant views have already been marginalized enough where it doesn't take much courage at all to stand up and call them what they are and have scorn for those who express it. But shrinking and hiding behind "Oh, we shouldn't demonize..." when the issue is one that is not as culturally settled is just being a coward.
                          Interesting the idea of a culturally settled issue.

For one I don't hear daily the scorn and ridicule against homosexuals. In fact, the crowds I tend to associate most strongly with are affirming and supportive. So for me at least, the matter is in fact quite culturally settled.

What isn't settled but appears to be a much more prevalent occurrence is the desire to belittle organized religion for any of a myriad of reasons. Even a tepid defense of religion seems to brand you as insensitive, bigot, or otherwise intellectually inferior.

How brave the warriors of the culturally "unsettled" issues.
                          "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

• 24 Therefore God gave them up in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, to the dishonoring of their bodies among themselves, 25 because they exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever! Amen.
                            26 For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature; 27 and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error.
                            28 And since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God gave them up to a debased mind to do what ought not to be done. 29 They were filled with all manner of unrighteousness, evil, covetousness, malice. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, maliciousness. They are gossips, 30 slanderers, haters of God, insolent, haughty, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents, 31 foolish, faithless, heartless, ruthless. 32 Though they know God's decree that those who practice such things deserve to die, they not only do them but give approval to those who practice them.
                            (Romans 1)

So enlightened.
                            "

Comment

• 5 Blessed are the meek,
                              for they will inherit the earth.
                              6 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
                              for they will be filled.
                              7 Blessed are the merciful,
                              for they will be shown mercy.
                              8 Blessed are the pure in heart,
                              for they will see God.
                              Shocking!

Why don't you not take one verse (not in context) and combine it with another verse (also not in context) several verses away?

JM
                              Jon Miller-
                              I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

• It supports your claim that Homosexuality is a sin according to the bible. What's the problem?

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
                                Shocking!

Why don't you not take one verse (not in context) and combine it with another verse (also not in context) several verses away?

JM
                                I was showing the context by including the other verses. I could have just left Romans 1:27.

You are being ridiculous.
                                "

Comment

Working...
                                X