Judgement Day: May 21st, 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Boris Godunov View Post
    Sarah Palin attended a church where people talked in tongues, and the media didn't give a ****.
    FWIW, Pentecostalism is a very large religious denomination in this country. Perhaps the media doesn't care because they are roughly 4.4% of the adult US population and 8.5% of Protestantism in the US, and growing. And Obama's Director of Religious Affairs (Joshua Dubois) is a Pentecostal. That doesn't include Charismatic Christians in other denominations either.

But I agree with your wider point. Homosexuals are widely discriminated in this country. Just because the trajectory is on the path of equality doesn't mean there is anything even close to it existing... Look at how few states allow even civil unions. And yes, you do have to wear your religion on your sleeve to be elected.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Methodists, on the whole, are pretty liberal.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Hey Imran, since you're a Christian and all and you're marrying a Christian, what's up with your name? I mean is she going to become Mrs. Siddiqui? Are your kids going to be Siddiqui's?

I ask because Siddiqui is a name with a great deal of Islamic relevance. The "truthful", those with purported ancestry to the first Caliph, Abu Bakr, Sahabah and father-in-law of the Prophet Muhammad.
        "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• My last name means roof thatcher, but you won't catch me thatching a roof any time soon.
          Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• I think Thatcher as a surname now has a new meaning.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boris Godunov View Post
              My last name means roof thatcher, but you won't catch me thatching a roof any time soon.
              Yeah but this is different. This isn't the occupation of some long-dead ancestor. Siddiqui is an Islamic name. It has strong religious and historical connotations, particularly among Pakistanis like Imran.

Siddiqui, (also rendered as Siddiqi, Siddique, Siddiquee, Siddighi, Sadighi, Seddighi, Sidiki or Siddiquie) (Arabic: صدیقی‎) is a Muslim family name, found in the Indian Subcontinent and the Middle East. Shaikh is an additional title used occasionally by Siddiqui/Siddique to signify their Arab heritage. People having surname "Siddiqui" claim their relationship as offspring of Abu Bakr Siddique (Arabic: ابو بكر الصديق‎), the first Khalifa (Caliph) and an early companion and friend of the Prophet Muhammad.
              "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• I can't think of a Western or Christian analogue. I guess it would be like if "Peters" signified descent from St. Peter in a culture more family/tribal-oriented than what we're used to in the West and you came across a family of Hindu Peters.

Comment

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                  Yeah but this is different. This isn't the occupation of some long-dead ancestor. Siddiqui is an Islamic name. It has strong religious and historical connotations, particularly among Pakistanis like Imran.
                  Who cares?

Comment

• Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                    Who cares?
                    It's just odd. It's like a Muslim named "Paul Christian" (or better yet, "Jesus San Pedro") or a Christian named "Muhammad Abdulrahman" (Abdulrahman means "Servant of the Benevolent" and Muhammad's Islamic connotations are obvious).

I guess in the future with more population movement and religious self-identification, this will be more common. It's just onomastically odd.

Comment

• Originally posted by Felch View Post
                      Some people send their life savings to slick hucksters. I spent my life savings on guns and ammo. Let the apocalypse come.
                      http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/06/01/i-lost-my-inheritance-to-the-doomsday-prophet/
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Yeah but this is different.
                        No, it's the same in that it's a surname from a different language created long ago that doesn't necessarily have the same connotation for current people who have it.

What do you expect Imran to do, change his surname? That's just asinine. Should someone with the last name "Christian" be expected to change his last name should he become an atheist?
                        Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• Being known as the truthful would be a positive thing for a Christian...
                          Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                          I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                          Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Hey Imran, since you're a Christian and all and you're marrying a Christian, what's up with your name? I mean is she going to become Mrs. Siddiqui? Are your kids going to be Siddiqui's?

I ask because Siddiqui is a name with a great deal of Islamic relevance. The "truthful", those with purported ancestry to the first Caliph, Abu Bakr, Sahabah and father-in-law of the Prophet Muhammad.
                            Yes, we will be Siddiquis. Interestingly, my middle name is Mohammed as well . Basically, who cares if my last name has a "great deal of Islamic relevance"?
                            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• So true.
                              Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                              I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                              Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Working...
                              X