No announcement yet.

Your Workstation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure what you mean by "if linux is faster than you" but the only OS benchmarks we've run recently were when we were testing various backend storage setups and our Solaris systems beat the crap out of Linux.

Not surprising, considering ZFS is a far better file system than anything on Linux. Linux still doesn't have any good filesystems. Maybe if the Linux filesystems designers weren't out murdering people, they could fix their ****.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
      Sun Rays were epic failures in the real world. If Oracle hasn't discontinued them yet, they will shortly.
      That's a shame, because they're really popular here at TJ. The students love them. The biggest complaint we get is "where's microsoft word?" They tend not to appreciate StarOffice but it works alright. We have some ideas to try to get Word running through some creative tricks (possibly involving Windows VMs) but haven't had time to try them.
      If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
      ){ :|:& };:

Comment

By real world I mean places where people are accountable for spending and employee satisfaction.

Hauldron,

Every place I've worked at that used Sunray terminals used CITRIX clients to connect to a MS Server to do day to day stuff.
        Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Sun Ray running windows :'(

My brother actually runs opensolaris on his laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar View Post

Hauldron,

Every place I've worked at that used Sunray terminals used CITRIX clients to connect to a MS Server to do day to day stuff.
            This is what I don't get. Now you're still buying MS terminal client licenses anyway, so why not use a real OS?
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Not surprising, considering ZFS is a far better file system than anything on Linux. Linux still doesn't have any good filesystems. Maybe if the Linux filesystems designers weren't out murdering people, they could fix their ****.
              ReiserFS

It's a killer file system

Comment

This is what I don't get. Now you're still buying MS terminal client licenses anyway, so why not use a real OS?
                The reasoning is "we don't want an actual workstation for SECURITY reasons, but everyone in the IC is too goddam stupid to use anything other than Windows, so we need to buy Citrix/run MS Server."

This is with some of the networks. The actual network we support uses OSX(hence the Macs on my desk), and of course my Ultra 27 is running Solaris.
                Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

That's why I like working for a technology company. We pick which OSes we run, on whatever hardware we want.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson View Post
                    Looks like an interesting spot. Where is it?
                    Syria

Unfortunately the website hasn't been updated for years.
                    "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
                    "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

Working...
                    X