So why am I not depressed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

compared to Philly, Hull is great.
    Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
    GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Well yeah, the violent crime rates in Hull are negligible compared to those in Philly and the economic prospects for the place actually seem to be improving...yeah, I'm still not convinced by that myself.
      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Actually there was a job going in my area in the Hull area...offering £25-30k...typical for Hull. Good luck with filling that position with that pay level
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I have a theory about the increasing incidence of depression.

Apparently simple, repetitive tasks involving the use of the body - eg, knitting, washing up the dishes, mowing the lawn, shelling nuts - where there is some concentration required, but not enough to prevent the mind from doing something else, such as having a conversation or daydreaming about the ideal form of government, produce very healthy "brain waves". That is, the brain is in a happy state.

Throughout the industrial revolution we've sought to free ourselves from menial tasks. I suspect that it is these menial tasks - not too demanding or boring - that help keep a mental equilibrium. Keeping oneself busy, so to speak.

I'm not claiming that all depression is the result of lack of activity, some is definitely a result of chemical imbalance, but on a statistical level I bet there's a connection.

Comment

Originally posted by ricketyclik View Post

Apparently simple, repetitive tasks involving the use of the body - eg, knitting, washing up the dishes, mowing the lawn, shelling nuts - where there is some concentration required, but not enough to prevent the mind from doing something else, such as having a conversation or daydreaming about the ideal form of government, produce very healthy "brain waves". That is, the brain is in a happy state.

Throughout the industrial revolution we've sought to free ourselves from menial tasks. I suspect that it is these menial tasks - not too demanding or boring - that help keep a mental equilibrium. Keeping oneself busy, so to speak.

I'm not claiming that all depression is the result of lack of activity, some is definitely a result of chemical imbalance, but on a statistical level I bet there's a connection.
            I doubt it. Weren't rates of alcoholism far higher back in the day?
            "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
            "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
              I doubt it. Weren't rates of alcoholism far higher back in the day?
              Firstly, you're equating alcoholism with depression, which ain't necessarily so, secondly, there were plenty of other reasons to be depressed back in the day, and thirdly, you're confusing depression as the result of circumstance with clinical depression.

Comment

Al B. Sure!

Why do you insist on staying in Philadelphia? Have you appeared in 'The Wire' yet?

Why didn't University lead onto a decent job - one where guns aren't put against your head?

Comment

Originally posted by kittenOFchaos View Post
                  Why do you insist on staying in Philadelphia? Have you appeared in 'The Wire' yet?

Wrong city. The Wire took place in an entirely different American ****hole.
                  "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                  "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by ricketyclik View Post

This would not surprise me at all. Add in a sense of accomplishment and you have happiness.
                    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                      Coming from a ****hole like philly is far less of an impediment than is being born stupid. You were given far more of a head start than some kid with an IQ of 90 born into a middle-class household with income 65k. You are wasting the talents you did nothing to earn.
                      Please leave me out of this.
                      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil View Post
                        One which is far more of a ****hole than Philly, actually...
                        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Killing it is the new killing it
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Good job in thriving in those conditions Al. Just ignore these ignorant people.

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil View Post
                            Hmm, this is the first time I've been corrected on this.

Poor Baltimore.

Comment

I came up out of Baltimore, however, which is better than anything Philly has ever produced.

Comment

Originally posted by Zoetstofzoetje View Post
                                Good job in thriving in those conditions Al. Just ignore these ignorant people.
                                Thriving = unemployed 20something choosing to live in a ****hole?

What was your alleged PhD in, again?
                                12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                                Killing it is the new killing it
                                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                                X