So why am I not depressed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So why am I not depressed?

I'm a guy from the ghetto who grew up in an abusive single mother home. As a toddler in 1986-88, I lived in Lebanon. Fortunately, I was too young to have the horrors of war affect me much but I do remember the shelling.

I've been shot at and been robbed at gunpoint 5 times. I've out-ran two other attempted armed robberies. I know how it feels to have a gun at your head for several minutes while you wait for the timer on the safe at your job to count down. And then when you go to the police station, the cops are accusing you of doing an inside job.

I've always had to fight growing up. Fighting in school, fighting at my jobs, fighting in the street. I won't lie: I rarely won a fight and always finished bloodied regardless.

I've had two friends of mine murdered in cold blood. Rest in Peace Donte and Dominic.

List the litany of stuff you hear about growing up in the inner-city and I've been through a lot of it.

Always told that a college education was the key to success and to leave the ghetto so I worked hard at the city's best high school, even when my mother kicked me out of her apartment, benefited from her abuse by being able to declare as an independent student which allowed me to attend college. Worked two jobs while attending school and finished magna *** laude. Only really worked both jobs to support a ***** of a 'girlfriend' who ended up being a whore who treated me like **** for 5 years.

Three years after college, I'm still here. Still here with the bars on the windows to prevent a third break-in; still here knowing I am taking a risk if I step out at night; still here with the dealers down the street; still here with the young boys mean mugging me and testing me as I walk past them on the corner...

But **** it. I'm not depressed. I feel fine and confident. People have been through a lot worse so what I look like whining and stewing in my own self-pity? I'll get out of here soon enough. Hopefully by the end of August when I finish OCS and commission.

What's all this depression talk with you privileged folk? Man the **** up.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Uh... because depression is a mental disorder caused by problems within the brain, and doesn't necessarily have anything to do with real-life triggers?

Anyway, in before the real "Al said something brash and silly" dogpile. Or is this just a revenge troll after you fell for the ice cream thread?
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
      Uh... because depression is a mental disorder caused by problems within the brain, and doesn't necessarily have anything to do with real-life triggers?
      Apparently growing up in the ghetto make you ignorant. It's a real shame anyone has to live in those conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
        Or is this just a revenge troll after you fell for the ice cream thread?
        That was my thought.
        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Those people who have shot at Albert and robbed him at gunpoint probably listened to rap 'music', FWIW

Comment

Im curious Al B, have you met anyone from her irl? Whats your '6 degrees of seperation'?
            Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

Originally posted by Snotty View Post
              Im curious Al B, have you met anyone from her irl? Whats your '6 degrees of seperation'?
              No. Not a one.
              "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                No. Not a one.
                I can come rob you.
                "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

You're too stupid to be depressed ?
                  "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Originally posted by dannubis View Post
                    You're too stupid to be depressed ?
                    Or maybe I have testicles and a spine?

Oh wait. We established, thanks to Elok, that depression is a brain functioning issue. So that means my brain functions better than the brains of some people on here.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                      That was my thought.
                      Yeah, but on balance, it doesn't seem like his style. Even if it were his original intent, I believe he'd rapidly become heavily emotionally invested in the argument anyway, making it "real."
                      1011 1100
                      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Yet you manage to get robbed 5 times.
                        "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                          No. Not a one.
                          Thats a shame. You have unique and often controversial views. Unfortuntely due to your vehemence and outspoken attitude its all to easy to mistake you for a troll. I hope you understand that this combined with your anonymity makes it hard to take you seriously sometimes

Im sure you would make an interesting drinking buddy for a night out on the town, and I for one would jump at the oppourtunity
                          Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

Originally posted by dannubis View Post
                            Yet you manage to get robbed 5 times.
                            What? Are you saying I lack balls because I was unfortunate enough to be robbed 5 times? All the balls in the world won't protect you from a bullet, Australian.

See in America, we have guns. Our idea of a thug isn't a guy with a slouch hat who rides a wallaby.

Notice how in Crocodile Dundee, they tried to rob him with a little switchblade and Dundee pulled out a bigger knife and scared them off. That is Hollywood. In real life, people have guns.

I actually had a switchblade with a blade the length of my hand in my pocket during one of those robberies. The criminals just took my knife as well as my money (and my shirt).

Comment

Originally posted by Snotty View Post
                              Thats a shame. You have unique and often controversial views. Unfortuntely due to your vehemence and outspoken attitude its all to easy to mistake you for a troll. I hope you understand that this combined with your anonymity makes it hard to take you seriously sometimes

Im sure you would make an interesting drinking buddy for a night out on the town, and I for one would jump at the oppourtunity

I don't consume alcohol so it would be just you drinking. I guess thanks for the positive words.

Comment

Working...
                              X