X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking a joke too far (with boring arguments) =
    Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Stimulate us with your exciting debate joke boy.
      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Too bad most of my good jokes are in spanish
        Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Originally posted by MOBIUS View Post
          You said I was hardly alone, inferring that you agreed with me, whereas when I was talking it up - you were talking it down. People can make their own minds up on our respective positions on this topic...
          *implying
          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

What I actually said (my one and only post on the issue):

Analysis I've been seeing is pointing to this as one of the reasons it is unlikely to happen anytime soon in Egypt. Tunisians had access to tech (internet, cell phones) at a level that just isn't available in Egypt and it was this tech that was instrumental in galvanizing opposition to the regime.

I took no position. It was at most, an invitation for discussion.
            "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
            "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Invitations are only good if they are individual and addressed, IMHO.
              Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Moby -

Why not Jordon?

Why Libya (and to a lesser extent) Syria?

Comment

If only Mubarak could block this thread from continuing...

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil View Post
                    What I actually said (my one and only post on the issue):

Analysis I've been seeing is pointing to this as one of the reasons it is unlikely to happen anytime soon in Egypt. Tunisians had access to tech (internet, cell phones) at a level that just isn't available in Egypt and it was this tech that was instrumental in galvanizing opposition to the regime.

I took no position. It was at most, an invitation for discussion.
                    I took a very positive position, which you immediately countered with a negative one. I would suggest that you didn't agree with me and fielded an argument to back your position up.

Me (13 days ago):

Wikileaks

USA

The govt of Tunisia has been in power for so long because of the west, namely the US supporting this dictator because of his supposed abilities in keeping Islamic extremism in check - despite the fact that he's a total c*nt to his people...

Also, wikileaks is only a contributor to what has happened - this would have probably happened anyway without wikileaks.

Also, if Tunisia could do this, Egypt could easily follow suit. I spent a month there several years ago and was shocked at the appalling conditions that the average Egyptian has to live under. Tunisia is better off economically and has far less of the problems that blight Egypt.

You:

Last edited by MOBIUS; January 28, 2011, 16:40.
                    Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Moby -

Why not Jordon?

Why Libya (and to a lesser extent) Syria?
                      Jordan's king is generally respected (though not as much as his father!), not to mention the fact that the implications of removing a monarch is a whole order of magnitude greater than a dictator.

Libya no because it is economically capable of mollifying any unrest from its population, and Syria no because of its political structure and make up - plus the fact that it has an extremely effective secret police.

Comment

I took a very positive position, which you immediately countered with a negative one. I would suggest that you didn't agree with me and fielded an argument to back your position up.
                        Yes, what you highlighted I clearly attributed to the source in the part you didn't highlight. Read the first part please.

I have never been to Egypt and was commenting on what I had heard ( As I made clear).

Comment

Jordan's king is generally respected (though not as much as his father!), not to mention the fact that the implications of removing a monarch is a whole order of magnitude greater than a dictator.
                          Potato, potato. Does it really matter if your perceived oppressor is called a "monarch" or a "President"?

Libya no because it is economically capable of mollifying any unrest from its population, and Syria no because of its political structure and make up - plus the fact that it has an extremely effective secret police.
                          Sorry, I misread your original post (thought you were saying it was likely there). My bad.

Comment

Anyway, any news? It's not getting much coverage over here.
                            Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Potato, potato. Does it really matter if your perceived oppressor is called a "monarch" or a "President"?
                              I'm not so sure about that. Historically a population seems a lot more unwilling to remove a monarchy. Something about nationalist sentiment and tradition, I'm guessing. Just an opinion of course.

Sorry, I misread your original post (thought you were saying it was likely there). My bad.
                              I thought you may have done, but it seemed a good excuse to give my reasons why I thought the way I did.

Comment

Originally posted by N35t0r View Post
                                Anyway, any news? It's not getting much coverage over here.
                                Curfew not being enforced by the security forces. ElBaradei detained, I think.

Comment

Working...
                                X