alcoholism and withdrawal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alcoholism and withdrawal

I just started suffering from a mild case of vertigo about 3 days ago - I quit hard booze (rum) about a week ago but started in with beer (dos equis) and stopped that right before I got vertigo. I didn't think I was drinking that much, I was drinking ~ 1.75 liters a week, a byproduct of drinking and golfing. I was into the booze for more than a couple years. So its either withdrawal or I got a bigger problem But the timing does point to the booze (or lack thereof). Anybody else with a similar experience? Oh yeah, I'm approaching 52 so middle age is probably a factor and hard booze is supposed to have an effect on the inner ear, ie balance etc.

I dont know if this matters but last year my doc said I was pre-diabetic and I haven't done much to help (notice I just gave up the booze ) But I do plan on walking when I play golf in the future, if this vertigo doesn't get worse and I can still swing a golf club. Yikes, I figured my heart would explode or get struck by lightning or a golf ball - this sucks worse.

A Topekan - Gary Woodland - is leading the Bob Hope Classic out in Indio Cal after 4 rounds

goodjob Gary

Hope I didn't jinx you
    Last edited by Berzerker; January 23, 2011, 00:20.

You were drinking a third of a bottle of rum a day on average?
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

maybe a 1/6th or 1/7th

a 1.75 liter bottle every 6-7 days

thats about 10 ounces a day, I think I was closer to 8 or 9 ounces a day though. And I didn't drink everyday, sometimes I'd run out and not resupply immediately. I cant really call it an addiction, it aint like I went nuts without it, but it was still a steadier habit than I needed...apparently. I'll know in a few days, if this vertigo doesn't go away its something more serious than a withdrawal symptom.
      Last edited by Berzerker; January 23, 2011, 00:40.

Comment

I'm talking about a third of a regular sized bottle
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

$1.75L in a week isn't that bad.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I was drinking 2-3 mixed drinks a night with 3-4 ounces per drink. It really didn't seem like much, I can honestly say I got "drunk" maybe 2 or 3 times. I actually hate being drunk, a good buzz was the desired effect

Comment

1.75 L / week would be 250 ml / day. A "shot" is supposed to be about 40 to 50ml, so you've been drinking about 5 standard drinks /day, a level of alcohol consumption that definitely may lead to health problems, and also might lead to withdrawal symnptoms when stopped suddenly.
              "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

wow, thx doc - is vertigo a common symptom? My head hurts a bit, feels like pressure is being applied across the forehead from temple to temple. I never had a headache that I can remember when I was drinking, thats weird too.

I'd say I was a bit under 5 shots a day, but thats pretty close. Good thing I quit, and its good I dont miss it. For all you young 'ens, if you're leading a sinful life plan on major lifetstyle changes when you get close to 50.

Does that mean if I started drinking again my vertigo would go away? Hmm...thats a possibility. Just to experiment, not to start drinking again on a regular basis.

Comment

Thank god, I don't plan on living that long.
                  “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                    I'm talking about a third of a regular sized bottle
                    For real. 750 ml is standard.
                    John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Maximum recommended alcohol intake for a man is 28 units a week. 1.75 liters of rum a week is about 70 units weekly.
                      The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
                        $1.75L in a week isn't that bad.
                        What the hell is a liter-dollar?

Comment

It's a dollar integrated over a volume. ****.
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Comment

It's a 48" lightyear.
                              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Working...
                              X