Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canada erects protectionist barriers to protect its faltering rock'n'roll industry.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canada erects protectionist barriers to protect its faltering rock'n'roll industry.

The Canadian Broadcast Standards Council has ruled that "Money for Nothing," a Dire Straits hit from 1985, is too offensive for Canadian airwaves. The song is being singled out for the repeated use of an anti-gay slur — "that little fаggot" — in its second verse.

This hasn't stopped some Canadian classic rock radio stations from playing the song. In the days since the ruling, stations in Halifax, Nova Scotia and Edmonton, Alberta have protested the decision by playing an unedited version of the song on repeated for a full hour.

Dire Straits keyboardist Guy Fletcher shared songwriter Mark Knopfler's reaction in the forum of his website, writing "Mark tells me that due to the ban, he has now substituted the word fаggot for 'fudger'...for Canada."

Though "Money for Nothing" has been a staple of rock radio for over two decades, the move to ban the song came as a result of a complaint by a listener in St. John's, Newfoundland. The ruling does not ban the song outright — versions with the offending words edited out are safe for airplay.

Censorship
    Canada
    Dire Straits
    Graffiti in a public toilet
    Do not require skill or wit
    Among the **** we all are poets
    Among the poets we are ****.

"protectionist barriers"?

WTF? Can your thread title be any more wrong?
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Yes Ondera. Clearly Canadian bands are being held back by the playing of Money for Nothing on the radio.

I remember hearing back in the day that the lyrics referred to Knopfler quoting someone he overheard slagging him (Knopfler) off and describing him as a little ******.

Comment

The CBSC is a voluntary industry organisation that is complaint driven.

Apparently one (1) little ****** on the east coast complained about the song and the CBSC came down with this absurd ruling.
        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus View Post
          I remember hearing back in the day that the lyrics referred to Knopfler quoting someone he overheard slagging him (Knopfler) off and describing him as a little ******.
          I have heard 50 different stories of the song's origin in the last few days.

Comment

Canada

ACK!
            Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

I thought Canada only produced songs about going to the mall...today.
              Last edited by DaShi; January 15, 2011, 13:07.
              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Tuberski View Post
                Canada

ACK!
                Someone else unaware of the concept.

The government had **** all to do with this.

Comment

WOW!
                  And I thought only America was fvcked up.
                  Shame that this ignorance is contagious.

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil View Post
                    Someone else unaware of the concept.

The government had **** all to do with this.
                    I didn't say Canadian government, did I?

One person complains about a 25 year old song and the song is pulled, regardless of whether they are voluntary or not.

ACK!

Comment

Originally posted by Docfeelgood View Post
                      WOW!
                      And I thought only America was fvcked up.
                      Shame that this ignorance is contagious.
                      Even worse, this is, as Wezil likes to point out, voluntary ignorance.

ACK!

Comment

Originally posted by Tuberski View Post
                        I didn't say Canadian government, did I?

One person complains about a 25 year old song and the song is pulled, regardless of whether they are voluntary or not.

ACK!

"Canada" didn't do it.

In fact, "Canada" thinks it's as ****ed up as you (America?) does.

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil View Post
                          "Canada" didn't do it.

In fact, "Canada" thinks it's as ****ed up as you (America?) does.
                          And yet, you'll jump in Asher's "America" threads and do the same thing I just did.

Rotten Canadians.

ACK!

Comment

Differentiate between government and private and we would have no disagreement.

Yes, I criticise the US government.

Comment

In fact Tuberski, this is similar in many respects to the Huck Finn controversy in your country right now. Do you hear me blaming your country for that?

Morons exist everywhere.

Comment

Working...
                              X