US Gun Laws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Gun Laws

Yes, another mass shooting and another gun law debate.

Can anyone tell me why the **** extended capacity magazines for semi-automatic handguns are very easy to get legally?

What is the rationale here?

Is it for hunting? Or is it for defending your property (that you affectionately call "The Alamo") from an onslaught of invading Mexican aliens?
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Guns don't kill people, crazy people do.
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Guns just make it a hell of a lot easier.
      Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
      Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
      We've got both kinds

Comment

sure but how much damage could a crazy person do with a knife here? 1 dead, maybe two if he is really skilled (and crazies are not usually)...

people kill people, not guns, but guns make it a lot more effective thus >>>> ban them, if there is a country that would benefit from it, it's the US - still given the mentality there, banning guns would give more of a reason for a revolution than socialized healthcare and tagging every american with a tracking chip combined.
        Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
        GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

A ban is probably impractical in a country already awash with so much hardware.
          Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
          We've got both kinds

Comment

with so many unemployed they could pay 1% of the people on the dole to go around with a metal detector and collect for scrap iron
            Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
            GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Terrorists do quite a bit of damage without guns. Additionally, a madman could do quite a lot of mayhem with a knife, rock or rope and serial killings.
              Guns are just an easy target, so to speak, for the untrained.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Nukes don't kill. Crazy people do. I guess the US should stop complaining about Iran's nuclear power program.

Comment

True.
                  We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH View Post
                    A ban is probably impractical in a country already awash with so much hardware.
                    Yeah, that's probably true. Although maybe restrictions on ammunition could work?

Comment

I don't know where gribbler is from, but every other American posting here so far is pro-gun. Every foreigner is anti-gun (or at least, anti-high capacity magazines). Luckily, so long as America is well armed, we'll be free to govern ourselves as we see fit.

I know that Maryland has stricter gun laws (10 round limit on handgun magazines, for example) than neighboring states, and it also has a higher violent crime rate. Seems to me like they're doing something right, and we're doing something wrong.

Restricting ammunition is pointless so long as reloading is common.
                      John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

just as a correlation, in London alone there were about 1300 stab wound victims admitted to the hospital in 2010, not sure how many deaths out of it all, so the underlying reasons for crime exist, as they do everywhere dependable on various social conditions, however what is the bet that there would be an order of magnitude more victims and dead people if guns were as easily available and in use?

We can argue on the statistics, but guns are a lot more efficient tools of murder than knifes, and I would prefer a crazy person with a knife trying to assasinate someone, rather than a semi-automatic anything... that's all... the fact that this is unenforceable in the US is another matter *(even if there was public willingness to go in that direction)

Comment

What about a semi-automatic knife? Think about it! 100 stabs per minute.
                          "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                          'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

sounds menacing

Comment

Let's just focus on the extended ammunition clip for a semi-automatic handgun -- WHY IS THAT LEGAL?

I can sort-of see the justification for having a handgun to protect your home, from muggings, whatever. But why the **** do you need 30 bullets in a clip in a handgun? The only thing I can see this useful for is a mass shooting...
                              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Working...
                              X